Education & Training
Universidad del Bosque, School of Medicine
Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
University of Chicago
American Board of Surgery
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
1 Hospital Drive
Columbia, MO 65212
- Tumor immunology
- Development of relevant animal models for the study of cancer
- Biomarkers for early detection of lung cancer
Areas of Expertise
- Thoracic surgical oncology
- Thoracic benign pathology
- Robotic thoracic and thoracoabdominal surgery
- Benign and malignant esophageal diseases
- Mediastinal benign and malignant diseases
- Diaphragmatic disorders
- Pleural benign and malignant diseases
- Chest wall deformities
- Chest wall benign and malignant diseases
- Chronic infections of the chest
- Diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy
- Navigational bronchoscopy
- Vagal nerve stimulation
Awards & Honors
- Best Peer Review Paper. International Society of Gastrointestinal Oncology, Philadelphia, PA, September 2007
- Top 24 Papers, Travel Award. 23rd Annual SSAT Residents and Fellows Research Conference, Digestive Diseases Week 2008, San Diego, CA, April 2008
- Professionalism/Humanism in Surgery Award. Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Department of Surgery, Hershey, PA, June 2014
- AATS Critical Care Scholarship. AATS Graham Foundation, Washington, D.C., October 2014
- Intuitive Surgical Robotics Fellowship Recipient. AATS Graham Foundation, Atlanta, GA, May 2015
- North Shore University Health System Fellowship Travel Grant. Evanston, IL, August 2015
- Liu D, Li G, Avella DM, Kimchi ET, Kaifi JT, Rubinstein MP, Camp ER, Rockey DC, Schell TD, Staveley-O'Carroll KF. Sunitinib represses regulatory T cells to overcome immunotolerance in a murine model of hepatocellular cancer. Oncoimmunology. Aug. 2017. In print.
- Li G, Liu D, Cooper TK, Kimchi ET, Qi X, Avella DM, Li N, Yang QX, Kester M, Rountree CB, Kaifi JT, Cole DJ, Rockey DC, Schell TD, Staveley-O'Carroll KF. Successful chemoimmunotherapy against hepatocellular cancer in a novel murine model. J Hepatol. 2017; 66(1):75-85.
- Avella DM, Toth JW, Reed MF, Gusani NJ, Kimchi ET, Mahraj RP, Staveley-O'Carroll KF, Kaifi JT. Pleural space infections after image-guided percutaneous drainage of infected intraabdominal fluid collections: a retrospective single institution analysis. BMC Surg. 2015; 11:15:42.
- Matsushima K, Won EJ, Tangel MR, Enomoto LM, Avella DM, Soybel DI. Emphysematous gastritis and gastric emphysema: similar radiographic findings, distinct clinical entities. World J Surg. 2015; 39(4):1008-17.