Commercial Relationships and Collaborations
This faculty member or a member of his or her immediate family has a working relationship, such as providing consulting, research, or educational services, with the companies listed below. These relationships have been reported to the University of Missouri and, if appropriate, plans have been established to address potential conflicts. The following relationships were reported as of July 2017.
The Orthopaedic Implant Company
Education & Training
Duke University School of Medicine
Barnes Jewish Hospital
Harborview Medical Center
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
1 Hospital Drive
Columbia, MO 65212
My research focuses on care of the injured patient and care of elbow disease. This research coincides nicely with my clinical practice and my teaching interests. For the injured patient, we are interested in injury prevention and treatment, including injuries to the arms, legs and pelvis as they relate to the musculoskeletal system. This treatment can include joint preservation.
Population-based clinical trials provide us with answers to basic clinical questions regarding treatment of the patient with musculoskeletal injuries. Also, the elbow is a complex joint about which much knowledge is still needed regarding elbow disorders (traumatic and non-traumatic) and their treatment, including reconstruction, arthroplasty and arthroscopy.
- Elbow trauma and its sequelae
- Elbow reconstruction
- Fracture care
- Geriatric fractures
- Orthopaedic trauma
- Joint preservation and regeneration
- Population studies in trauma
Areas of Expertise
- Fracture surgery (arms, legs, pelvis)
- Elbow reconstruction
Awards & Honors
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Achievement Award, 2014
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Leadership Fellow, 2014
- AOA-American British Canadian Traveling Fellow, 2013
- AOA-North American Traveling Fellow, 2009
- Howard Rosen table instructor award, AO North America, May, 2009
- Best Doctors in America
- Service Excellence Hero, University of Missouri Hospital, April, 2007.
- Resident Teaching Award, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Washington University/Barnes-Jewish Hospital, June, 2004.
- Emerging Leaders Program, American Orthopaedic Association, March, 2004.
- Resident Leadership Forum, American Orthopaedic Association, June, 2003.
- Recipient, OREF/Sulzer Medica Resident Research Award for Growth Factor Research, 2002.
- Who’s Who in Science and Engineering, Who’s Who in America, Who’s Who in the World, Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare. – multiple editions
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (Fellow)
- American Orthopaedic Association (Fellow)
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association
- American College of Surgeons (Fellow)
- Association of Bone and Joint Surgeons
- Interurban Orthopaedic Society
- Piedmont Orthopaedic Society
- Société Internationale de Chirurgie Orthopédique et de Traumatologie (International Society of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology – SICOT)
- International Society for Fracture Repair
- American Medical Association
- Sprague S, Slobogean GP, Bogoch E, Petrisor B, Garibaldi A, O'Hara N, Bhandari M; FAITH Investigators. Vitamin D Use and Health Outcomes After Surgery for Hip Fracture. Orthopedics. 2017 Oct 1;40(5):e868-e875.
- Harvin WH, Oladeji LO, Della Rocca GJ, Murtha YM, Volgas DA, Stannard JP, Crist BD. Working length and proximal screw constructs in plate osteosynthesis of distal femur fractures. Injury. 2017 Nov;48(11):2597-2601.
- Cannada LK, Hire JM, Boyer PJ, Israel H, Mir H, Halvorson J, Della Rocca GJ, Ming B, Mullis B, Deshpande C. Treatment and Complications of Patients With Ipsilateral Acetabular and Femur Fractures: A Multicenter Retrospective Analysis. J Orthop Trauma. 2017 Dec;31(12):650-656.
- Crist BD, Oladeji LO, Khazzam M, Della Rocca GJ, Murtha YM, Stannard JP. Role of acute negative pressure wound therapy over primarily closed surgical incisions in acetabular fracture ORIF: A prospective randomized trial. Injury. 2017 Jul;48(7):1518-1521.
- Zura R, Watson JT, Einhorn T, Mehta S, Della Rocca GJ, Xiong Z, Wang Z, Jones J, Steen RG. An inception cohort analysis to predict nonunion in tibia and 17 other fracture locations. Injury. 2017 Jun;48(6):1194-1203.
- Zura R, Xu ZJ, Della Rocca GJ, Mehta S, Steen RG. When Is a Fracture Not "Fresh"? Aligning Reimbursement With Patient Outcome After Treatment With Low-Intensity Pulsed Ultrasound. J Orthop Trauma. 2017 May;31(5):248-251.
- Hood MA, Murtha YM, Della Rocca GJ, Stannard JP, Volgas DA, Crist BD. Prevalence of Low Vitamin D Levels in Patients With Orthopedic Trauma. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2016 Nov/Dec;45(7):E522-E526.
- Zura R, Braid-Forbes MJ, Jeray K, Mehta S, Einhorn TA, Watson JT, Della Rocca GJ, Forbes K, Steen RG. Bone fracture nonunion rate decreases with increasing age: A prospective inception cohort study. Bone. 2017 Feb;95:26-32.
- TRUST Investigators writing group, Busse JW, Bhandari M, Einhorn TA, Schemitsch E, Heckman JD, Tornetta P 3rd, Leung KS, Heels-Ansdell D, Makosso-Kallyth S, Della Rocca GJ, Jones CB, Guyatt GH. Re-evaluation of low intensity pulsed ultrasound in treatment of tibial fractures (TRUST): randomized clinical trial. BMJ. 2016 Oct 25;355:i5351.
- Zura R, Xiong Z, Einhorn T, Watson JT, Ostrum RF, Prayson MJ, Della Rocca GJ, Mehta S, McKinley T, Wang Z, Steen RG. Epidemiology of Fracture Nonunion in 18 Human Bones. JAMA Surg. 2016 Nov 16;151(11):e162775.
- Claessen FMAP, Stoop N, Doornberg JN, Guitton TG, van den Bekerom MPJ, Ring D; Science of Variation Group. Interpretation of Post-operative Distal Humerus Radiographs After Internal Fixation: Prediction of Later Loss of Fixation. J Hand Surg Am. 2016 Oct;41(10):e337-e341.
- Zura R, Mehta S, Della Rocca GJ, Steen RG. Biological Risk Factors for Nonunion of Bone Fracture. JBJS Rev. 2016 Jan 5;4(1).
- Bodendorfer BM, Cook JL, Robertson DS, Della Rocca GJ, Volgas DA, Stannard JP, Crist BD. Do 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Levels Correlate With Fracture Complications? J Orthop Trauma. 2016 Sep;30(9):e312-7.
- Adams JD Jr, Della Rocca GJ. Management of Posterior Articular Depression in Tibial Plateau Fractures. J Knee Surg. 2016 Jan;29(1):28-33.
- FLOW Investigators, Bhandari M, Jeray KJ, Petrisor BA, Devereaux PJ, Heels-Ansdell D, Schemitsch EH, Anglen J, Della Rocca GJ, Jones C, Kreder H, Liew S, McKay P, Papp S, Sancheti P, Sprague S, Stone TB, Sun X, Tanner SL, Tornetta P 3rd, Tufescu T, Walter S, Guyatt GH. A Trial of Wound Irrigation in the Initial Management of Open Fracture Wounds. N Engl J Med. 2015 Dec 31;373(27):2629-41.
- Peterson BE, Jiwanlal A, Della Rocca GJ, Crist BD. Orthopedic Trauma and Aging: It Isn't Just About Mortality. Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2015 Mar;6(1):33-6.
- Della Rocca GJ, Uppal HS, Copeland ME, Crist BD, Volgas DA. Geriatric Patients With Fractures Below the Hip are Medically Similar to Geriatric Patients With Hip Fracture. Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2015 Mar;6(1):28-32.
- Robertson DS, Jenkins T, Murtha YM, Della Rocca GJ, Volgas DA, Stannard JP, Crist BD. Effectiveness of Vitamin D Therapy in Orthopaedic Trauma Patients. J Orthop Trauma. 2015 Nov;29(11):e451-3.
- Zura R, Della Rocca GJ, Mehta S, Harrison A, Brodie C, Jones J, Steen RG. Treatment of chronic (>1 year) fracture nonunion: heal rate in a cohort of 767 patients treated with low-intensity pulsed ultrasound (LIPUS). Injury. 2015 Oct;46(10):2036-41.
- Burgers PT, Poolman RW, Van Bakel TM, Tuinebreijer WE, Zielinski SM, Bhandari M, Patka P, Van Lieshout EM; HEALTH and FAITH Trial Investigators. Reliability, validity, and responsiveness of the Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index for elderly patients with a femoral neck fracture. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2015 May 6;97(9):751-7.
- Zura R, Mehta S, Della Rocca GJ, Jones J, Steen RG. A cohort study of 4,190 patients treated with low-intensity pulsed ultrasound (LIPUS): findings in the elderly versus all patients. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2015 Mar 1;16:45.
- Della Rocca GJ. Gaps and opportunities in the management of the young femoral neck fracture. Injury. 2015 Mar;46(3):515-8.
- Frank T, Osterhoff G, Sprague S, Garibaldi A, Bhandari M, Slobogean GP; FAITH Investigators. The Radiographic Union Score for Hip (RUSH) Identifies Radiographic Nonunion of Femoral Neck Fractures. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2016 Jun;474(6):1396-404.
- Fixation using Alternative Implants for the Treatment of Hip fractures (FAITH) Investigators. Fracture fixation in the operative management of hip fractures (FAITH): an international, multicentre, randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2017 Apr 15;389(10078):1519-1527.