Education & Training
Duke University School of Medicine
- Barnes Jewish Hospital
- Harborview Medical Center
Commercial Relationships and Collaborations
This faculty member or a member of his or her immediate family has a working relationship, such as providing consulting, research, or educational services, with the companies listed below. These relationships have been reported to the University of Missouri and, if appropriate, plans have been established to address potential conflicts. The following relationships were reported as of July 2017.
The Orthopaedic Implant Company
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
1 Hospital Drive
Columbia, MO 65212
My research focuses on care of the injured patient and care of elbow disease. This research coincides nicely with my clinical practice and my teaching interests. For the injured patient, we are interested in injury prevention and treatment, including injuries to the arms, legs and pelvis as they relate to the musculoskeletal system. This treatment can include joint preservation.
Population-based clinical trials provide us with answers to basic clinical questions regarding treatment of the patient with musculoskeletal injuries. Also, the elbow is a complex joint about which much knowledge is still needed regarding elbow disorders (traumatic and non-traumatic) and their treatment, including reconstruction, arthroplasty and arthroscopy.
- Elbow trauma and its sequelae
- Elbow reconstruction
- Fracture care
- Geriatric fractures
- Orthopaedic trauma
- Joint preservation and regeneration
- Population studies in trauma
Areas of Expertise
- Fracture surgery (arms, legs, pelvis)
- Elbow reconstruction
Awards & Honors
- Barry J. Gainor Excellence in Teaching Award 2019 — University of Missouri Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Achievement Award, 2014
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Leadership Fellow, 2014
- AOA-American British Canadian Traveling Fellow, 2013
- AOA-North American Traveling Fellow, 2009
- Howard Rosen table instructor award, AO North America, May, 2009
- Best Doctors in America
- Service Excellence Hero, University of Missouri Hospital, April, 2007.
- Resident Teaching Award, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Washington University/Barnes-Jewish Hospital, June, 2004.
- Emerging Leaders Program, American Orthopaedic Association, March, 2004.
- Resident Leadership Forum, American Orthopaedic Association, June, 2003.
- Recipient, OREF/Sulzer Medica Resident Research Award for Growth Factor Research, 2002.
- Who’s Who in Science and Engineering, Who’s Who in America, Who’s Who in the World, Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare. – multiple editions
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (Fellow)
- American Orthopaedic Association (Fellow)
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association
- American College of Surgeons (Fellow)
- Association of Bone and Joint Surgeons
- Interurban Orthopaedic Society
- Piedmont Orthopaedic Society
- Société Internationale de Chirurgie Orthopédique et de Traumatologie (International Society of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology – SICOT)
- International Society for Fracture Repair
- American Medical Association
- Della Rocca GJ, Tornetta P 3rd, Schneider PS, Sprague S. Intimate Partner Violence and Orthopaedics: AOA Critical Issues. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2019;101(13):e62.
- Felton J, Slobogean GP, Jackson SS, Della Rocca GJ, Liew S, Haverlag R, Jeray KJ, Sprague SA, O’Hara NN, Swiontkowski M, Bhandari N. Femoral Neck Shortening After Hip Fracture Fixation is Associated with Inferior Hip Function: Results from the FAITH Trial. J Orthop Trauma. 2019. PMID: 31464855.
- Borrelli J Jr, Della Rocca GJ, Schneider P, Pape HC, Cinelli P, Weil Y, Khoury A, Liebergall M, Watson T. Cell-Based Therapies for the Treatment of Fractures. J Orthop Trauma. 2019;33 Suppl 6:S39-S43.
- Crist BD, Oladeji LO, Della Rocca GJ, Volgas DA, Stannard JP, Greenberg DD. Evaluating the Duration of Prophylactic Post-Operative Antibiotic Agents after Open Reduction Internal Fixation for Closed Fractures. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2018;19(5):535-540.
- Wessel AR, Crist BD, Stannard JP, Della Rocca GJ, Stoker AM, Bozynski CC, Cook CR, Kuroki K, Ahner CE, Cook JL. Assessment of Reamer Irrigator Aspirator System (RIA) Filtrate for its Osteoinductive Potential in a Validate Animal Model. Injury. 2018;49(6):1046-1051.
- TRUST Investigators writing group, Busse JW, Bhandari M, Einhorn TA, Schemitsch E, Heckman JD, Tornetta P 3rd, Leung KS, Heels-Ansdell D, Makosso-Kallyth S, Della Rocca GJ, Jones CB, Guyatt GH. Re-evaluation of low intensity pulsed ultrasound in treatment of tibial fractures (TRUST): randomized clinical trial. BMJ. 2016 Oct 25;355:i5351.
- Adams JD Jr, Della Rocca GJ. Management of Posterior Articular Depression in Tibial Plateau Fractures. J Knee Surg. 2016 Jan;29(1):28-33.
- Della Rocca GJ, Uppal HS, Copeland ME, Crist BD, Volgas DA. Geriatric Patients With Fractures Below the Hip are Medically Similar to Geriatric Patients With Hip Fracture. Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2015;6(1):28-32.
- FLOW Investigators, Bhandari M, Jeray KJ, Petrisor BA, Devereaux PJ, Heels-Ansdell D, Schemitsch EH, Anglen J, Della Rocca GJ, Jones C, Kreder H, Liew S, McKay P, Papp S, Sancheti P, Sprague S, Stone TB, Sun X, Tanner SL, Tornetta P 3rd, Tufescu T, Walter S, Guyatt GH. A Trial of Wound Irrigation in the Initial Management of Open Fracture Wounds. N Engl J Med. 2015;373(27):2629-2641.
- Fixation using Alternative Implants for the Treatment of Hip fractures (FAITH) Investigators. Fracture fixation in the operative management of hip fractures (FAITH): an international, multicentre, randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2017;389(10078):1519-1527.