Commercial Relationships and Collaborations
This faculty member or a member of his or her immediate family has a working relationship, such as providing consulting, research, or educational services, with the companies listed below. These relationships have been reported to the University of Missouri and, if appropriate, plans have been established to address potential conflicts. The following relationships were reported as of July 2017.
Education & Training
University of Virginia School of Medicine
Brooke Army Medical Center
Brooke Army Medical Center
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery-Sports Med
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
In the News
1100 Virginia Ave.
Columbia, MO 65212
- Severe knee trauma
- Biological joint replacement
- Bone marrow concentrate
- Total knee arthroplasty
- Total hip arthroplasty
Areas of Expertise
- Orthopaedic sports medicine
- Orthopaedic trauma
- Biological joint replacement in knees
Awards & Honors
- President, AO North America, Nov. 7, 2016
- Committee Chair of Bylaws and Hearings, Orthopaedic Trauma Association Board of Directors, 2012-present
- Trustee, AO Board of Trustees — July 2011-July 2016
- Member, AO Research Review Commission — June 2011-December 2015
- Director, Missouri Orthopaedic institution, June, 2010-Present
- Associate Head Team Physician for University of Missouri Athletic Department 2010-Present
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Knee Surgery — 2010-Present
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association Board of Directors and Secretary 2009-12
- Member at Large Board of Directors, Orthopaedic Trauma Association 2004-07
- Meritorious Service Medal – First Brigade, 82D Airborne Division, 1988
- Meritorious Service Medal – Womack Army Medical Center, 1994
- Meritorious Service Medal – Brooke Army Medical Center, 1996
- Army Commendation Medal — presented in association with service during mass casualty accident, Pope AFB/Ft. Bragg, N.C. 1994
- Founders Award for research presented by the Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons, El Paso, Texas, 1991
- 1998 Kurt Niemann Outstanding UAB Orthopaedic Surgery Faculty Award
- 2002 Award for “Best Conference” by the 2002 Graduating Orthopaedic Residents
- 2004 OTA Specialty Day, March 13, 2004 — “Deep Vein Thrombosis in Polytrauma: Anatomic Location of Clots and the Role of Magnetic Resonance Venography” paper chosen as “highlight” paper
- 2006 OTA Specialty Day, March 25, 2006 — “Stabilization of Knee Dislocations Using a Hinged External Fixator — A Prospective Randomized Study” paper chosen as “highlight” paper
- 2006 OTA Specialty Day, March 25, 2006 — “Negative Pressure Wound Therapy (NPWT) Following Open Fractures: A Prospective Randomized Study” paper chosen as “highlight” paper
- 2007 Book Surgical Treatment of Orthopaedic Trauma* (James P. Stannard, 1st Editor) awarded the Professional and Scholarly Publishing Award for Excellence in Clinical Medicine by the Association of American Publishers.
- 2007 Best Doctors in America.
- 2008 Book Surgical Treatment of Orthopaedic Trauma (James P. Stannard, 1st Editor) awarded First Prize in the “Orthopaedics” category of the British Medical Association’s 2008 Book Awards.
- 2009 OTA Specialty Day, February 28, 2009 — “Piriformis Versus Trochanteric Antegrade Nailing of Femoral Fractures: A Prospective Randomized Study” paper chosen as one of the top ten papers
- 2009 Edwin G. Bovill, Jr., M.D., Memorial Lecturer of 2008 for presentation of the Outstanding Scientific Paper entitled “Piriformis Versus Trochanteric Antegrade Nailing of Femoral Fractures: A Prospective Randomized Study” at the 2008 OTA Annual Meeting
- 2015 MU Top Faculty Achievers — March 3, 2015 — National institutions of Health grant recipient. Recognized for grant from the Coulter Translational Partnership Program.
- 2015 Barry J. Gainor M.D. Excellence in Teaching Award, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Missouri; nominated by the Orthopaedic Residents
- TRUST Investigators writing group, Busse JW, Bhandari M, Einhorn TA, Schemitsch E, Heckman JD, Tornetta P 3rd, Leung KS, Heels-Ansdell D, Makosso-Kallyth S, Della Rocca GJ, Jones CB, Guyatt GH. Re-evaluation of low intensity pulsed ultrasound in treatment of tibial fractures (TRUST): randomized clinical trial. British Medical Journal. 2016 Oct 25;355:i5351. doi: 10.1136/bmj.i5351.PMID:27797787
- Nuelle CW, Milles JL, Pfeiffer FM, Stannard JP, Smith PA, Kfuri M, Cook JL. Biomechanical Comparison of Five Posterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction Techniques. J Knee Surg, 2016 Oct 5 [Epub ahead of print]
- Stroud C, Dmitriev I, Kashentseva E, Bryan JN, Curiel DT, Rindt H, Reinero C, Henry CJ, Bergman PJ, Mason NJ, Gnanandarajah JS, Engiles JB, Gray F, Laughlin D, Gaurnier-Hausser A, Wallecha A, Huebner M, Paterson Y, O'Connor D, Treml LS, Stannard JP, Cook JL, Jacobs M, Wyckoff GJ, Likins L, Sabbagh U, Skaff A, Guloy AS, Hays HD, LeBlanc AK, Coates JR, Katz ML, Lyons LA, Johnson GC, Johnson GS, O'Brien DP, Duan D, Calvet JP, Gandolfi B, Baron DA, Weiss ML, Webster DA, Karanu FN, Robb EJ, Harman RJ. A One Health Overview, Facilitating Advances in Comparative Medicine and Translational Research. Clin Transl Med. 2016 Aug;5(Suppl 1):26.
- Bodendorfer BM, Cook JL, Robertson DS, Della Rocca GJ, Volgas DA, Stannard JP, Crist BD. Do 25-hydroxyvitamin D Levels Correlate with Fracture Complications? J Orthop Trauma 2016 Sep;30(9):e312-7
- Milles JL, Nuelle CW, Pfeiffer F, Stannard JP, Smith P, Kfuri M, Cook JL. Biomechanical Comparison: Single-Bundle versus Double-Bundle Posterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction Techniques. J. Knee Surgery. 2016 Aug. 20
- Crist BD, Stoker AM, Stannard JP, Cook JL. Analysis of relevant proteins from bone graft harvested using the reamer irrigator and aspirator system (RIA) versus iliac crest (IC) bone graft and RIA waste water. Injury. 2016 May 20
- Crist BD, Stoker AM, Pfeiffer FM, Kuroki K, Cook CR, Franklin SP, Stannard JP, Cook JL. Optimising femoral-head osteochondral allograft transplantation in a preclinical model. Journal of Orthopaedic Translation, April 2016, 5, 48-56
- Nuelle CW, Nuelle JAV, Cook JL, Stannard JP. Patient Factors, Donor Age, and Graft Storage Duration Affect Osteochondral Allograft Outcomes in Knees with or without Comorbidities. Journal of Knee Surgery, May 26, 2016 (epub ahead of print)
- Stannard J, Fracture Dislocation of the Knee, Journal of Knee Surgery 2016 May; 29(4):300-302
- Cook JL, Stannard JP, Stoker AM, Bozynski CC, Kuroki K, Cook CR, Pfeiffer FM. Importance of Donor Chondrocyte Viability for Osteochondral Allografts. Am J Sports Med, 2016 Feb. 26
- Smith PA, Stannard JP, Pfeiffer FM, Kuroki K, Bozynski CC, Cook, JL. Suspensory Versus Interference Screw Fixation for Arthroscopic Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction in a Translational Large-Animal Model. Arthroscopy, 2016 Feb. 4
- FLOW Investigators, Bhandari M, Jeray KJ, Petrisor BA, Devereaux PJ, Heels-Ansdell D, Schemitsch EH, Anglen J, Della Rocca GJ, Jones C, Kreder H, Liew S, McKay P, Papp S, Sancheti P, Sprague S, Stone TB, Sun X, Tanner SL, Tornetta P 3rd, Tufescu T, Walter S, Guyatt GH. A Trial of Wound Irrigation in the Initial Management of Open Fracture Wounds. N Engl J Med. 2015 Dec 31;373(27):2629-41.
- Bozynski CC, Stannard JP, Smith P, Hanypsiak BT, Kuroki K, Stoker A, Cook C, Cook JL. Acute Management of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injuries Using Novel Canine Models. Journal of Knee Surgery, 2015 Dec 29
- Stannard JP, Cook JL. Tibial Inlay Posterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction: Advances to a New Technique. Operative Techniques in Sports Medicine, article in press Dec. 2015
- Chubinskaya S, Haudenschild D, Gasser S, Stannard J, Krettek C, Borrelli J. Articular Cartilage Injury and Potential Remedies. J Orthop Trauma, Dec. 2015
- Crist BD, Stoker AM, Pfeiffer FM, Kuroki K, Cook CR, Franklin SP, Stannard JP, Cook JL. Optimising femoral-head osteochondral allograft transplantation in a preclinical model. J Orthop. Translation 2015 10.001
- Roller BL, Monibi F, Stoker AM, Bal BS, Stannard JP, Cook JL. Characterization of Meniscal Pathology Using Molecular and Proteomic Analyses. J Knee Surg 2015; 28:496-505.
- Robertson DS, Jenkins T, Murtha YM, Della Rocca GJ, Volgas DA, Stannard JP, Crist BD. Effectiveness of Vitamin D Therapy in Orthopaedic Trauma Patients. J Orthop Trauma, 2015 Nov; 29(11)
- Stannard JP, Stannard JT, Cook JL. Repair or Reconstruction in Acute Posterolateral Instability of the Knee: Decision Making and Surgical Technique Introduction. J Knee Surgery 2015 Sep 21
- Stannard JP. “Evaluation and Treatment of Medial Instability of the Knee.” Sports Med Arthrosc, 2015 June; 23(2): 91-5
- Stannard JP. A Game Changer for Patients with Joint Damage? Medscape Orthopaedics, WebMD, LLC (an online, peer-reviewed journal), April 17, 2015
- Cook JL, Smith PA, Stannard JP, Pfeiffer FM, Kuroki K, Bozynski CC, Cook CR. A canine hybrid double-bundle model for study of arthroscopic ACL reconstruction.
J Orthp Res, 2015 Mar 12
- Gella S, Whelan DB, Stannard JP, MacDonald PB. Acute Management and Surgical Timing of the Multiligament-injured Knee. Instr Course Lect, 2015; 64:521-30.
- Stannard JP. Caring for the Critically Injured: Commentary on an article by Saam Morshed: The Importance of trauma-center care on mortality and function following pelvic ring and acetabular injuries. J of Bone & Joint Surgery 2015 February
- Bozynski CC, Kuroki K, Stannard JP, Smith PA, Stoker AM, Cook CR, Cook JL. Evaluation of Partial Transection versus Synovial Debridement of the ACL as Novel Canine Models for Management of ACL Injuries. Journal of Knee Surgery, 2015, January 30.
- Black BS, Stannard JP. Repair versus Reconstruction in Acute Posterolateral Instability of the Knee. Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy Review, 2015 Mar, 23(1):22-26.
- Stannard JP. Caring for the Critically Injured: Commentary on an article by Saam Morshed: The Importance of trauma-center care on mortality and function following pelvic ring and acetabular injuries. J of Bone & Joint Surgery 2015 Feb (doi: 10.2106/JBJS.N.01190)
- Roller BL, Monibi F, Stoker AM, Bal BS, Stannard JP, Cook JL. Characterization of Meniscal Pathology using Molecular and Proteomic Analysis. J Knee Surg. 2014 Oct. 23. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cook JL, Stoker AM, Stannard JP, Kuroki K, Cook CR, Pfeiffer FM, Bozynski C, Hung CT. A Novel System Improves Preservation of Osteochondral Allografts. Clin Orthop Rel Res 2014 Nov; 472(11):3404-14; Epub 2014 July 17.
- Leiter JR, Levy BA, Stannard JP, Fanelli GC, Whelan DB, Marx RG, Stuart MJ, Boyd JL, MacDonald PB. Accuracy and reliability of determining isometric point of the knee for multiligament knee reconstruction. Knee Surg Sports Traumatolo Arthrosc 2014 Sep;22(9):2187-93. doi: 10.1007/s00167-013-2661-2. Epub 2013 Oct 6.
- Heiney JP, Kursa K, Schmidt AH, Stannard JP. Reduction and Stabilization of Depressed Articular Tibial Plateau Fractures: Comparison of Inflatable and Conventional Bone Tamps. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2014 Aug 06; 96(15):1273-1279.
- Cook JL, Cook CR, Stannard JP, Vaughn G, Wilson N, Roller BL, Stoker AM, Jayabalan P, Hdeib M, Kuroki K. MRI versus Ultrasonography to Assess Meniscal Abnormalities in Acute Knees. J Knee Surg. 2014 Aug;27(4):319-24. doi: 10.1055/s-0034-1367731. Epub 2014 Jan 28.
Cook JL, Hung CT, Kuroki K, Stoker AM, Cook CR, Pfeiffer FM, Sherman SL, Stannard JP. Animal Models of Cartilage Repair. Bone Joint Res. 2014 Apr 2;3(4):89-94. doi: 10.1302/2046-3758.34.2000238. Print 2014.
- Harvin, WH, Stannard JP. Negative-Pressure Wound Therapy in Acute Traumatic and Surgical Wounds in Orthopaedics. JBJS Reviews, 2014 April;2(4):e4
- Stannard JP. Case Reports, J Knee Surg. 2014 Feb;27(1):1-2. doi: 10.1055/s-0033-1363937. Epub 2014 Jan 13.
- S. Sherman, J Garrity, K Bauer, J Cook, J Stannard, W Bugbee. Fresh Osteochondral Allograft Transplantation for the Knee: Current Concepts. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2014;22:121-133 February 2014 Vol 22, No 20
- Nuelle CW, Stannard JP. Placement of Compass Knee Hinge: Surgical Technique.
JBJS Essential Surgical Techniques 4(1) Jan-March 2014 [online only] Based on an original article: J Bone Joint Surg AM. 2014 Feb 4:96(3):184-91
- Stannard JP, Nuelle CW, McGwin G, Volgas DA. Hinged External Fixation in the Treatment of Knee Dislocations: A Prospective Randomized Study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014 Feb 5;96(3):184-91 doi: 10.2106/JBJS.L.01603