Commercial Relationships and Collaborations
This faculty member or a member of his or her immediate family has a working relationship, such as providing consulting, research, or educational services, with the companies listed below. These relationships have been reported to the University of Missouri and, if appropriate, plans have been established to address potential conflicts. The following relationships were reported as of July 2017.
Education & Training
University of Virginia School of Medicine
Brooke Army Medical Center
Brooke Army Medical Center
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery-Sports Med
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
In the News
1100 Virginia Ave.
Columbia, MO 65212
- Severe knee trauma
- Biological joint replacement
- Bone marrow concentrate
- Total knee arthroplasty
- Total hip arthroplasty
Areas of Expertise
- Orthopaedic sports medicine
- Orthopaedic trauma
- Biological joint replacement in knees
Awards & Honors
- 2018 Sports Medicine Technology Award for the invention of the Missouri Osteochondral Allograft Preservation System (MOPS), AOSSM 2018 Annual Meeting
- 2017 Making a Difference Award, Thomspon Laboratory for Regenerative Orthopaedics
- 2017 MU Top Faculty Achiever Award
- 2015 Barry J. Gainor M.D. Excellence in Teaching Award, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Missouri; nominated by the Orthopaedic Residents
- 2015 MU Top Faculty Achievers — March 3, 2015 — National institutions of Health grant recipient. Recognized for grant from the Coulter Translational Partnership Program
- 2009 Edwin G. Bovill, Jr., M.D., Memorial Lecturer of 2008 for presentation of the Outstanding Scientific Paper entitled “Piriformis Versus Trochanteric Antegrade Nailing of Femoral Fractures: A Prospective Randomized Study” at the 2008 OTA Annual Meeting
- 2009 OTA Specialty Day, February 28, 2009 — “Piriformis Versus Trochanteric Antegrade Nailing of Femoral Fractures: A Prospective Randomized Study” paper chosen as one of the top ten papers
- 2008 Book Surgical Treatment of Orthopaedic Trauma (James P. Stannard, 1st Editor) awarded First Prize in the “Orthopaedics” category of the British Medical Association’s 2008 Book Awards
- 2007 Best Doctors in America
- 2007 Book Surgical Treatment of Orthopaedic Trauma* (James P. Stannard, 1st Editor) awarded the Professional and Scholarly Publishing Award for Excellence in Clinical Medicine by the Association of American Publishers
- 2006 OTA Specialty Day, March 25, 2006 — “Negative Pressure Wound Therapy (NPWT) Following Open Fractures: A Prospective Randomized Study” paper chosen as “highlight” paper
- 2006 OTA Specialty Day, March 25, 2006 — “Stabilization of Knee Dislocations Using a Hinged External Fixator — A Prospective Randomized Study” paper chosen as “highlight” paper
- 2004 OTA Specialty Day, March 13, 2004 — “Deep Vein Thrombosis in Polytrauma: Anatomic Location of Clots and the Role of Magnetic Resonance Venography” paper chosen as “highlight” paper
- 2002 Award for “Best Conference” by the 2002 Graduating Orthopaedic Residents
- 1998 Kurt Niemann Outstanding UAB Orthopaedic Surgery Faculty Award
- 1996 Meritorious Service Medal – Brooke Army Medical Center
- 1994 Army Commendation Medal — presented in association with service during mass casualty accident, Pope AFB/Ft. Bragg, N.C.
- 1994 Meritorious Service Medal – Womack Army Medical Center
- 1991 Founders Award for research presented by the Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons, El Paso, Texas
- 1988 Meritorious Service Medal – First Brigade, 82D Airborne Division
- Nov 2016-Present: President, AO North America
- 2012-Present: Committee Chair of Bylaws and Hearings, Orthopaedic Trauma Association Board of Directors
- July 2011-July 2016: Trustee, AO Board of Trustees
- June 2011-Dec 2015: Member, AO Research Review Commission
- June 2010-Present: Director, Missouri Orthopaedic Institute
- 2010-Present: Associate Head Team Physician for University of Missouri Athletic Department
- 2010-Present: Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Knee Surgery
- 2009-2012: Orthopaedic Trauma Association Board of Directors and Secretary
- 2004-2007: Member at Large Board of Directors, Orthopaedic Trauma Association
Selections from more than 140 peer-reviewed publications:
- Worley JR, Brimmo O, Nuelle CW, Cook JL, Stannard JP (2018). Incidence of concurrent peroneal nerve injury in multiligament knee injuries and outcomes after knee reconstruction. J Knee Surg. PMID: 29898474.
- Stoker AM, Stannard JP, Kuroki K, Bozynski CC, Pfeiffer FM, Cook JL (2018). Validation of the Missouri Osteochondral Allograft Preservation System for the maintenance of osteochondral allograft quality during prolonged storage. Am J Sports Med, 46(1), 58-65. PMID: 28937783.
- Oladeji LO, Stannard JP, Cook CR, Kfuri M, Crist BD, Smith MJ, Cook JL (2017). Effects of autogenous bone marrow aspirate concentrate on radiographic integration of femoral condylar osteochondral allografts. Am J Sports Med, 45(12), 2797-2803. PMID: 28737949.
- Stannard JP, Stannard JT, Cook JL (2015). Repair or reconstruction in acute posterolateral instability of the knee: decision making and surgical technique introduction. J Knee Surg, 25(8), 450-454. PMID: 26394144.
- Black BS, Stannard J (2015). Repair versus reconstruction in acute posterolateral instability of the knee. Sports Med Arthrosc Rev, 23(1), 22-6. PMID: 25545647
- Stannard JP, Nuelle CW, McGwin G, Volgas DA (2014). Hinged external fixation in the treatment of knee dislocations: a prospective randomized study. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 96(3), 184-191. PMID: 24500579.
- Stannard JP (2011). Building a successful trauma practice in academics. J Orthop Trauma, 25 Suppl 3, S111-S112. PMID: 22089846.
- Stannard JP, Bankston L, Futch LA, McGwin G, Volgas DA (2011). Functional outcome following intramedullary nailing of the femur: a prospective randomized comparison of piriformis fossa and greater trochanteric entry portals. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 93(15), 1385-1391. PMID: 21915543.
- Stannard JP, Volgas DA, McGwin G, et al (2012). Incisional negative pressure wound therapy after high-risk lower extremity fractures. J Orthop Trauma, 26(1):37-42. PMID: 21804414.
- Stannard JP, Lopez-Ben RR, Volgas DA, Anderson ER, Busbee M, Karr DK, McGwin GR Jr, Alonso JE (2006). Prophylaxis against deep-vein thrombosis following trauma: a prospective, randomized comparison of mechanical and pharmacologic prophylaxis. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 88(2), 261-266. PMID: 16452735.
- Stannard JP, Robinson JT, Anderson ER, McGwin G, Volgas DA, Alonso JE (2006). Negative pressure wound therapy to treat hematomas and surgical incisions following high-energy trauma. J Trauma, 60(6):1301-1306. PMID: 16766975