Education & Training
Baylor College of Medicine
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Texas Tech University School of Medicine
Ophthalm/Cornea Refrac Surg
- University of Missouri Health Care
- Tulane University School of Medicine
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
- Corneal decompensation associated with glaucoma drainage implants
- The impact of smoking on corneal graft failure
Areas of Expertise
- Routine and complex cataract surgery
- Micro-invasive glaucoma surgery (MIGS): iStent, Cypass Micro-stent, XEN Gel Stent, Goniotomy with Kahook Dual Blade or Trab 360, ECP
- Traditional glaucoma surgery: Glaucoma Drainage Implants, Trabeculectomy, Ex-PRESS shunts
- Glaucoma laser procedures: Laser Trabeculoplasty (SLT) and Micropulse CPC
- Corneal transplantation and other corneal surgery including PKP, DSAEK, DMEK, Superficial Keratectomy, and PTK
- Keratoprosthesis (artificial cornea)
- Refractive surgery: LASIK and PRK
- Corneal crosslinking
Awards & Honors
- Highest Resident TTUHSC OKAP Score
- Welch Scholarship in Biochemistry
- Texas A&M College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (COALS) Outstanding Junior
- Texas A&M COALS Senior Merit Award
- Texas A&M University Scholar
- Strohbehn AL, Raju M, Shanmugam KP, Grillo A, and FW Fraunfelder. The Impact of Smoking on Corneal Graft Failure. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science. 2017; 58(8): 1411.
- Shanmugam KP, Ayyala RS. Management of Angle Closure Glaucoma From Plateau Iris Syndrome with Laser Iridoplasty Combined with Phaco/IOL/Goniosynechialysis/ ECP: Surgical Outcomes. Poster Presentation. 2017 American Glaucoma Society Meeting, San Diego, CA.
- De Paiva CS, Raince JK, McClellan AJ, Shanmugam KP, Pangelinan SB, Volpe EA, Corrales RM, Farley WJ, Corry DB, Li D-Q, and Pflugfelder SC. Homeostatic Control of Conjunctival Mucosal Goblet Cells by NKT Derived IL-13. Mucosal Immunology. 2011; 4(4): 397–408.
- Shanmugam KP, Shanthini S, Salman A, Rajamohan M, Vanila CG, and Jesudasan CAN. Intravitreal Bevacizumab in the Treatment of Ischemic Central Retinal Vein Occlusion in South Indian Patients. Poster Presentation. All India Ophthalmological Conference, 2011.