Michael LeFevre, MD, joined the MU Family and Community Medicine faculty in 1984 after graduating from medical school, completing residency and academic fellowship training and earning his Masters of Science in Public Health (MSPH) degree here at the University of Missouri. He teaches residents and medical students in inpatient and outpatient settings and maintains an active practice across the full breadth of family medicine, including inpatient work and — through 2012 — obstetrics.
Education & Training
University of Missouri School of Medicine
- University of Missouri School of Medicine GME
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
In the News
One Hospital Drive
M226 Medical Sciences Building, DC032.00
Columbia, MO 65212
Dr. Michael LeFevre is a national leader in preventive health care.
LeFevre has worn many hats in his 30-year career as a family physician, family medicine educator and public health advocate. He joined the University of Missouri medical school faculty in 1984; from 2002 to 2012, he directed the implementation of MU Health’s electronic health record system, and he currently serves as director of clinical services for the MU Department of Family and Community Medicine. In that role, LeFevre oversees seven medical practices with more than 125,000 patient visits each year. He also maintains an active family medicine practice.
In addition to his work at MU, LeFevre has served as chair of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, a panel of volunteer experts striving to improve the health of Americans by making evidence-based recommendations on clinical preventive services. He has published widely on screening for diseases and events such as hepatitis B, aortic aneurysm, oral cancer, suicide risk, vitamin D deficiency and thyroid dysfunction. He also helped develop national guidelines for the treatment of hypertension.
In recognition of his many contributions to the medical field, in 2011 LeFevre was elected to the prestigious Institute of Medicine of the National Academies.
Dr. Michael LeFevre is vice chair and Future of Family Medicine Professor in the Department of Family and Community Medicine at the School of Medicine.
Awards & Honors
MU School of Medicine/Medical Alumni Organization Citation of Merit
University of Missouri Faculty-Alumni Award
National Academy of Medicine Member (formerly Institute of Medicine)
- Home blood pressure data visualization for the management of hypertension: designing for patient and physician information needs.
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2020;20(1):195.
Koopman RJ, Canfield SM, Belden JL, Wegier P, Shaffer VA, Valentine KD, Jain A, Steege LM, Patil SJ, Popescu M, LeFevre ML.
- Home blood pressure monitoring in cases of clinical uncertainty to differentiate appropriate inaction from therapeutic inertia.
Annals of Family Medicine. 2020;18(1):50-58.
Patil SJ, Wareg NK, Hodges KL, Smith JB, Kaiser MS, LeFevre ML.
- Report from the FMAHealth Practice Core Team: achieving the quadruple aim through practice transformation.
Family Medicine. 2019;51(2):193-197.
Marker JE, Davis KN, Etz R, Jones SM, Lee JW, LeFevre M, Phillips R.
- The role of home BP monitoring: Answers to 10 common questions: How does home BP monitoring stack up against clinic and ambulatory measurements for the Dx and management of hypertension? Find out in this review.
Journal of Family Practice. 2019;68(1):29-33.
Patil SJ, Koopman RJ, Belden J, LeFevre M.
- ACC/AHA Hypertension Guideline: What Is New? What Do We Do?
American Family Physician. 2018;97(6):372-373.
- Vitamin D screening and supplementation in community-dwelling adults: common questions and answers.
American Family Physician. 2018;97(4):254-260.
LeFevre ML, LeFevre NM.
- Update on the methods of the US Preventive Services Task Force: linking intermediate outcomes and health outcomes in prevention.
American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2018;54(1S1):S4-S10.
Wolff TA, Krist AH, LeFevre M, Jonas DE, Harris RP, Siu A, Owens DK, Gillman MW, Ebell MH, Herzstein J, Chou R, Whitlock E, Bibbins-Domingo K.
- Atrial fibrillation guideline summary.
Annals of Family Medicine. 2017;15(5):490-491.
Frost JL, Campos-Outcalt D, Hoelting D, LeFevre M, Lin KW, Vaughan W, Bird MD.
- From authority to evidence-based medicine: are clinical practice guidelines moving us forward or backward?
Annals of Family Medicine. 2017;15(5):410-412.
- It matters what is measured.
Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine: JABFM. 2017;30(1):8-9.
- Pharmacologic treatment of hypertension in adults 60 years and older: a guideline you can trust.
American Family Physician. 2017;95(9):547-548.
LeFevre ML, James PA.