Education & Training
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Washington University School of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
In the News
1100 Virginia Ave.
Columbia, MO 65212
My research interests involve mobile technologies, tissue engineering and cartilage therapies. For my research efforts, I have received an OREF Resident Clinician-Scientist Research grant and was honored with the WUSTL Resident Research Award. My research has been published in several orthopaedic journals, including the American Journal of Sports Medicine, the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, the Journal of Arthroscopy and JAAOS. It is very rewarding and satisfying to use new knowledge from research to improve the clinical care of our patients.
Areas of Expertise
- Sports Medicine
- Shoulder, elbow, hip, knee and ankle arthroscopy
- Shoulder arthroplasty (replacement)
- Total shoulder arthroplasty (replacement)
- Reverse total shoulder arthroplasty (replacement)
- Shoulder instability, labral repair
- Rotator cuff repair
- Open shoulder surgery
- Tommy John elbow instability and biceps tears
- Hip labral tears, hip impingement, hip preservation surgery
- Knee ligament reconstruction (including ACL, PCL, MCL, LCL and multiple-ligament knee injuries)
- Meniscal repair and meniscal allograft transplantation
- Articular cartilage restoration and joint preservation — microfracture
- Osteochondral autograft and allograft transplantation
- Biocartilage, DeNovo, Cartiform, MACI
- Patella instability/realignment/medial patellofemoral
- Ligament reconstruction
- Achilles tendon tears and ankle instability
- Adolescent and pediatric sports injuries
- Fracture fixation
- Operative fixation of the shoulder, elbow, wrist, hand, hip, knee, foot and ankle
Awards & Honors
- 2016 AAOS Clinical Scholars Career Development Program
- 2016 Resident Research Award – Washington University in St. Louis
- 2016 Missouri State Orthopaedic Association – Board Member
- 2016 First-Runner Up – Jeff Myers Young Investigator Award
- 2015 Chair of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery - Resident Assembly
- 2015 AAOS Clinician Scholars Career Development Program
- 2015 ORS/OREF/AAOS New Investigator Workshop
- 2015 American Orthopaedic Association – Emerging Leaders Program
- 2014 Orthopaedic Resident Scientist-Clinician Grant – Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation
- 2011 Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society Member
- 2011 President of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Medical Student Body
- 2007 Cornell University Merrill Scholarship
- 2006 Quill & Dagger Senior Honor Society – Cornell University
- 2004 Meinig Family Cornell National Scholar
- 2004 Tylenol National Scholar
- 2003 Coca-Cola National Scholar
- 2003 USA Today All-Academic First Team Scholar
- 2003 Valedictorian, Joplin High School
- 2002 Discover Card National Tribute Award Scholar
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, 2016 – Present
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2015 – Present
- Aerospace Medical Association, 2014 – Present
- Missouri State Orthopaedic Association, 2012 – Present
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, 2011 – Present
- MENSA International, 2000 – Present
- American Journal of Sports Medicine (AJSM), 2016 – Present
- Aerospace Medicine and Human Performance Journal, 2015 - Present
- Skelley NW, Smith MJ, Ma R, Cook JL. Three-dimensional printing technology in orthopedics. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2019. doi: 10.5435/JAAOS-D-18-00746.
- Skelley NW, Stannard JT, Laupattarakasem P. Direct visualization of suspensory fixation deployment in knee ligament reconstructions without fluoroscopic imaging. Orthopedics. 2018;41(4):e587-e590.
- Skelley NW, Conaway WK, Martin SD. “In-Round” labral repair after acetabular recession using intermittent traction. Arthrosc Tech.2017;6(5):e1807-e1813.
- Skelley NW, Lake SP, Brophy RH. Microstructural properties of the anterior cruciate ligament. Annals of Joint. 2017;2:19. doi: 10.21037/aoj.2017.05.08. Skelley NW, Castile, RM, Canon, PC, Weber, CI, Lake, SP, Brophy, RH. Regional variation in the mechanical and microstructural properties of the human ACL. Am J Sports Med. 2016;44(11):2892-2899.
- Wright JO, Skelley NW, Schur RP, Castile RM, Lake SP, Brophy RH. Microstructural and mechanical properties of the posterior cruciate ligament comparing the anterolateral and posteromedial bundles. J Bone Joint Surg. 2016;5;98(19):1656-1664.
- Skelley NW, Yarholar, LM, and Richardson, LC. Pilot and passenger injuries associated with powered parachutes. Aerosp Med Hum Perform. 2016;87(11):947-953.
- Skelley NW, Keeney J, Nunley R. The importance of resident engagement in health policy. Orthopedics. 2015;38(8):472-474.
- Skelley NW, Friedman M, McGuinnes M, Smith C, Hillen T, Matava M. Inter- and intra-observer reliability in the MRI measurement of the tibial tubercle-trochlear groove distance and trochlea dysplasia. Am J Sports Med. 2015;43(4):873-878.
- Skelley, NW, Castile, RM, York, TE, Gruev, V, Lake, SP, and Brophy, RH. Differences in the microstructural properties of the anteromedial and posterolateral bundles of the anterior cruciate ligament. Am J Sports Med. 2015;43(4):928-936.