Education & Training
Universidad de Valparaiso
- Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
- University of Michigan Medical School
- University of Michigan Medical School
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
A central theme of Dr. Carney's work is that he combines engineering and neuroscience with medical research to develop more effective therapies for neurological disease. This leverages his experience as both a clinician scientist and engineer. The passion that drives Dr. Carney's career is the search for better ways to prevent and treat epilepsy which affects over 60 million people worldwide. As director for the Division of Pediatric Neurology, he plans to further develop the divisions' missions through the translation of novel research into cutting edge patient care and training of young physicians and scientists. He plans to build on the current hub of advanced care and services in epilepsy, stroke, sleep, neuromuscular disorders, among other areas, and apply these insights to improve the health and well-being of children and their families.
- Seizure Detection, Prediction, and Nonlinear Dynamical System Theory
- Functional Organization of Brain Circuitry
- Structural Organization of Brain Circuitry
- Control of Brain Hyperexcitability
- Sleep Disorders and Circadian Rhythm
Areas of Expertise
- Epilepsy surgery/neuromodulation
- Sleep disorders
Awards & Honors
- Fellow (elected), American Epilepsy Society, October 2019
- Charter member, National Institutes of Health Acute Neural Injury and Epilepsy Study Section, July 2017 to June 2021
- National Professional Advisory Board Member (elected), Epilepsy Foundation of America, July 2014 to June 2021
- Healthcare and Biotech Council Member (elected), Gainesville Florida Chamber of Commerce, May 2017 to June 2020
- Tenure, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2017
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors in America Honorary Award, 2008 to 2017
- B.J. and Eve Wilder Endowed Professor in Epilepsy Research, University of Florida College of Medicine August 2007 to June 2016
- International Association of Pediatricians ‘Top Pediatrician in Gainesville’ award April 2014
- Epilepsy Foundation’s National Professional Advisory Board member (elected), March 2014
- Epilepsy Foundation of America, Florida (elected), August 2011 to June 2014
- Patients' Choice Award, 2011
- Compassionate Doctor Award, 2011
- American Pediatric Society ‘Most Outstanding’ New Member Award, 2011
- American Neurological Association Fellow (elected), 2010
- Fourth International Workshop on Seizure Prediction, 2009
- Faculty Research Prize in Clinical Science, University of Florida, 2009
- Chilean Child-Adolescent-Psychiatry-Neurology Society, 2006
- Tenure, University of Florida, 2005
- The William Pierskalla ‘best paper award’ for research excellence, 2004
- Society for Pediatric Research Fellow (elected), 2000
- Excellence in Teaching Award - University of Florida Department of Pediatric, 1999
- American Academy of Pediatrics, 1998
- Doctor of Medicine with Honors, 1990
- National Research Service Award, National Science Foundation, 1985
- John Huntington Scholarship for Undergraduate Studies, John Carroll University, 1980
- Diamond-Shamrock Corporation Cooperative Educational Scholarship, 1980
- Gu B,+ Zhu M,* Glass MR,* Rougié M, Nikolova VD,* Moy SS, Carney PR, Philpot BD. Cannabidiol attenuates seizures and EEG abnormalities in Angelman syndrome model mice. J Clin Invest. 2019 Dec 2;129(12):5462-5467. PMID: 31503547.
- Aliyu MH, Abdullahi AT, Iliyasu Z, Salihu AS, Adamu H, Sabo U, Garcia JP, Abdullahi SU, Mande A, Xian H, Yakasai HM, Schootman M, Ingles DJ, Patel AA, Yakasai A, Curry-Johnson S, Wudil UJ, DeBaun, MR, Trevathan E, the BRIDGE Advisory Panel, Birbeck G, Carney P, Glauser T, Kakooza A, Pearl, Wabulya PA, Wheless J, Wilmshurst J, Bridging the childhood epilepsy treatment gap in northern Nigeria (BRIDGE): Rationale and design of pre-clinical trial studies. Contemp Clin Trials Commun. 2019 Apr 16;15:100362.
- Leibowitz J,* Natarajan G,* Michael A. King MA, Carney PR, Ormerod BK. Sustained somatostatin gene expression reverses kindling-induced increases in the number of dividing Type-1 neural stem cells in the hippocampi of behaviorally responsive rats. Epilepsy Res. 2019 Feb; 150:78-94
- Magdoom KN,* Delgado F,* Bohórquez AC,* Brown AC,* Carney PR, Rinaldi C, Mareci TH, Ewing JR, Sarntinoranont M. Longitudinal evaluation of tumor microenvironment in ratfocal brainstem glioma using diffusion and perfusion MRI. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2018. Oct 14. PMID:30318760.
- Dai X,* Zhang T,* Yang H,* Tang J,* Carney PR, Jiang H. Fast noninvasive functional diffuse optical tomography for brain imaging. J Biophotonic. 2018 Mar;11(3). PMID: 28696034.
- Kuhn T,* Gullett JM,* Boutzoukas AE,* Bohsli A, Mareci TH, Fitzgerald DB, Carney PR, Bauer RM. Temporal lobe epilepsy affects spatial organization of entorhinal cortex connectivity. Epilepsy Behav, 2018 Sept, 19;88:87-95. PMID: 30243111.