Seth Sherman is co-division director of Sports Medicine and associate professor with tenure at the University of Missouri. Sherman is a third-generation team physician and surgeon, continuing a family tradition as a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon and as a team physician for University of Missouri athletic teams.
His expertise is in sports medicine surgery of the knee and shoulder. His subspecialties include knee joint preservation — including ligament repair/reconstruction — osteotomy, meniscal repair/meniscal allograft transplantation (MAT) and cartilage restoration. He is passionate about treating patellofemoral joint disorders.
Sherman completed his residency at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York — ranked No. 1 in orthopaedics by “U.S. News & World Report” — and was trained by the team physicians for the NFL’s Giants, MLB’s Mets and the NBA’s Knicks. During his fellowship at Rush University in Chicago, Sherman was the assistant team physician for the NBA’s Bulls and MLB’s White Sox.
Commercial Relationships and Collaborations
This faculty member or a member of his or her immediate family has a working relationship, such as providing consulting, research, or educational services, with the companies listed below. These relationships have been reported to the University of Missouri and, if appropriate, plans have been established to address potential conflicts. The following relationships were reported as of July 2017.
Education & Training
Weill Medical College of Cornell University
- New York Prebyterian Hospital
- Weill Medical College of Cornell University
- Rush University Medical Center
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
In the News
Areas of Expertise
- Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopic and Open Surgery of the Knee and Shoulder
- Joint Preservation and Cartilage Restoration
Awards & Honors
- AOSSM/SLARD Traveling Fellowship Participant
- Spurgeon Distinguished Medical Research Award Finalist
- Inside Columbia Magazine “Our Favorite Doctors” 2017
- MU Top Faculty Achiever Award Recognition Ceremony
- Orthopedics This Week “The 16 Standout North American Sports Knee Surgeons” in 2016
- Inside Columbia Magazine “Our Favorite Doctors” 2016
- Sherman SL, Voss E, Hinckel B. Patella Proximal Realignment- Lateral Retinacular Lengthening. Knee Surgery: Tricks of the Trade. Thieme Medical Publishers. 2017
- Sherman SL, Hinckel B, Farr J. Patellofemoral Instability. DeLee & Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine: Principles and Practice. Elsevier. 2017
- Stannard JP, Sherman SL, Cook JL. AAOS OKU-12: Soft-Tissue Injuries about the Knee. 2016 (with editors).
- Pomajzl RJ, Sherman SL, Kfuri M, Stannard JP. Inlay and Onlay PCL Reconstruction. In: Ligamentous Injuries of the Knee. Editors Mascarenhas R, Bhatia S, Lowe W. Nova Science Publishers, 2016 (with editors).
- Sherman S, Nuelle C, Farr J. AAOS Let’s Discuss Series: Issues Specific to Cartilage Restoration in the Patellofemoral Joint May 2015
- Sherman S, Nuelle C, Latterman C.AAOS Let’s Discuss Series: Meniscal Allograft Transplantation. May 2015
Selected from more than 80 peer-reviewed articles:
- Willis BW, Hocker K, Razu S, Gray AD, Skubic M, Sherman SL, Kurkowski S, Guess TM. Relationship between 2-dimensional frontal plane measures and the knee abduction angle during the drop vertical jump. J Sports Rehab. 2019:1-4.
- Sherman SL, Black B, Mooberry MA, Freeman KL, Gulbrandsen TR, Milles JL, Evans L, Flood D, Pfeiffer F. Biomechanical evaluation of suture anchor versus transosseous tunnel patellar tendon repair techniques. J Knee Surg. 2018. doi: 10.1055/s-0038-1669790
- Sherman SL, Deasis DP, Garrone AJ, Voss EE, Oliver HA. Return to play after patellar stabilization. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2018;11(2):280-284.
- Nuelle CW, Stokes DC, Kuroki K, Crim JR, Sherman SL. Radiologic and histologic evaluation of proximal bicep pathology in patients with chronic biceps tendinopathy undergoing open subpectoral biceps tenodesis. Arthroscopy. 2018;34(6):1790-1796.
- Sherman SL, Thompson SF, Clohisy JCF. Distal femoral varus osteotomy for the management of valgus deformity of the knee. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2018;26(9):313-324.
- Sherman SL, Gulbrandsen TR, Lewis HA, Gregory MH, Capito NM, Gray AD, Bal BS. Overuse of magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis and treatment of moderate to severe osteoarthritis. Iowa Orthop J. 2018;38:33-37.
- Chaudhry ZS, Fram B, Henn RF 3rd, Sherman SL, Hammoud S. The 50 most-cited articles in meniscal allograft transplantation research: a bibliometric analysis. Cartilage. 2017; 1947603517749922.
- Sherman SL, Thyssen E, Nuelle CW. Osteochondral autologous transplantation. Clin Sport Med. 2017;36(3):489-500.
- Arshi A, Siesener NJ, McAllister DR, Williams RJ 3rd, Sherman SL, Jones KJ. The 50 most cited articles in orthopaedic cartilage surgery. Cartilage. 2016;7(3):238-247.
- Sherman SL, Copeland ME, Milles JL, Flood DA, Pfeiffer FM. Biomechanical evaluation of suture anchor versus transosseous tunnel quadriceps tendon repair techniques. Arthroscopy. 2016;32(6):1117-1124.