Seth Sherman is co-division director of Sports Medicine and associate professor with tenure at the University of Missouri. Sherman is a third-generation team physician and surgeon, continuing a family tradition as a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon and as a team physician for University of Missouri athletic teams.
His expertise is in sports medicine surgery of the knee and shoulder. His subspecialties include knee joint preservation — including ligament repair/reconstruction — osteotomy, meniscal repair/meniscal allograft transplantation (MAT) and cartilage restoration. He is passionate about treating patellofemoral joint disorders.
Sherman completed his residency at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York — ranked No. 1 in orthopaedics by “U.S. News & World Report” — and was trained by the team physicians for the NFL’s Giants, MLB’s Mets and the NBA’s Knicks. During his fellowship at Rush University in Chicago, Sherman was the assistant team physician for the NBA’s Bulls and MLB’s White Sox.
Commercial Relationships and Collaborations
This faculty member or a member of his or her immediate family has a working relationship, such as providing consulting, research, or educational services, with the companies listed below. These relationships have been reported to the University of Missouri and, if appropriate, plans have been established to address potential conflicts. The following relationships were reported as of July 2017.
Education & Training
Weill Medical College of Cornell University
New York Prebyterian Hospital
Weill Medical College of Cornell University
Rush University Medical Center
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery-Sports Med, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
In the News
Areas of Expertise
- Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopic and Open Surgery of the Knee and Shoulder
- Joint Preservation and Cartilage Restoration
Awards & Honors
- AOSSM/SLARD Traveling Fellowship Participant
- Spurgeon Distinguished Medical Research Award Finalist
- Inside Columbia Magazine “Our Favorite Doctors” 2017
- MU Top Faculty Achiever Award Recognition Ceremony
- Orthopedics This Week “The 16 Standout North American Sports Knee Surgeons” in 2016
- Inside Columbia Magazine “Our Favorite Doctors” 2016
- Sherman SL, Voss E, Hinckel B. Patella Proximal Realignment- Lateral Retinacular Lengthening. Knee Surgery: Tricks of the Trade. Thieme Medical Publishers. 2017
- Sherman SL, Hinckel B, Farr J. Patellofemoral Instability. DeLee & Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine: Principles and Practice. Elsevier. 2017
- Stannard JP, Sherman SL, Cook JL. AAOS OKU-12: Soft-Tissue Injuries about the Knee. 2016 (with editors).
- Pomajzl RJ, Sherman SL, Kfuri M, Stannard JP. Inlay and Onlay PCL Reconstruction. In: Ligamentous Injuries of the Knee. Editors Mascarenhas R, Bhatia S, Lowe W. Nova Science Publishers, 2016 (with editors).
- Sherman S, Nuelle C, Farr J. AAOS Let’s Discuss Series: Issues Specific to Cartilage Restoration in the Patellofemoral Joint May 2015
- Sherman S, Nuelle C, Latterman C.AAOS Let’s Discuss Series: Meniscal Allograft Transplantation. May 2015
- Sherman SL. Patellofemoral Cartilage Restoration: Indications, Techniques, and Outcomes. J Knee Surg. 2017 Nov 17.
- Berkay Unal, MD, Betina B. Hinckel, MD, PhD, Seth L. Sherman, MD, Christian Lattermann, MD, Comparison of Lateral Retinaculum Release and Lengthening in the Treatment of Patellofemoral DisordersAm J Orthop. 2017 September;46(5):224-228
- Thompson SF, Guess TM, Plackis AC, Sherman SL, Gray AD. Youth Baseball Pitching Mechanics: A Systematic Review. Sports Health. 2017 Nov 1
- Raines BT, Naclerio E, Sherman SL. Management of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injury? : What's In and What's Out? Indian J Orthop. 2017 Sep-Oct;51(5):563-575.
- Sarah E. Smith, Colten L. Snider, David R. Gilley, Daniel N. Grant, Seth L. Sherman, Bret D. Ulery, David A. Grant, Sheila A. Grant. Homogenized Porcine Extracellular MatrixDerived Injectable Tissue Construct with Gold Nanoparticles for Musculoskeletal Tissue Engineering Applications. Journal of Biomaterials and Nanobiotechnology, 2017, 8, 125-143
- Willis BW, Razu S, Baggett K, Jahandar A, Gray AD, Skubic M, Sherman SL, Blecha K, Guess TM. Sex Differences in Frontal and Transverse Plane Hip and Knee Kinematics during the Modified Start Excursion Balance Test.” Human Movement. Sept (3) 2017. doi: 10.1515/humo-2017-0028
- Aaron D. Gray, MD, Brad W. Willis, MPT, Marjorie Skubic, PhD, Zhiyu Huo, PhD, Swithin Razu, MS, Seth L. Sherman, MD, and Trent M. Guess, PhD. Development and Validation of a Portable and Inexpensive Tool to Measure the Drop Vertical Jump Using the Microsoft Kinect V2. Epub 2017 Aug28
- Sherman SL, Thyssen E, Nuelle CW. Osteochondral Autologous Transplantation.Clin Sports Med. 2017 Jul;36(3):489-500. doi: 10.1016/j.csm.2017.02.006. Epub 2017 Apr 26. Review.
- Capito NM, Cook JL, Yahuaca B, Capito MD, Sherman SL, Smith MJ. Safety and efficacy of hyperosmolar irrigation solution in shoulder arthroscopy.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2017 May;26(5):745-751. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2017.02.021. Epub 2017 Mar 18.
- Grant SA, Smith SE, Schmidt H, Pfeiffer F, Kuroki K, Sherman S, White R, Grant DA. “In vivo bone tunnel evaluation of nanoparticle-grafts using an ACL reconstruction rabbit model”. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2017 Apr;105(4):1071-1082. DOI 10.1002/jbm.a.36000.
- Sherman SL et.al. In vitro Toxicity of Local Anesthetics and Cortisone Derivatives on Explant Supraspinatus Tenocytes. Journal of Orthopaedic Translation 2017
- Monibi FA, Bozynski CC, Kuroki K, Stoker AM, Pfeiffer FM, Sherman SL, Cook JL. “Development of a Micronized Meniscus Extracellular Matrix Scaffold for Potential Augmentation of Meniscal Repair and Regeneration”. Tissue Eng Part C Methods. 2016 Dec;22(12): 1059-1070. DOI: 10.1089/ten.TEC.2016.0276
- Capito NM, Owens BD, Sherman SL, Smith MJ. “Osteochondral Allografts in Shoulder Surgical Procedures”. JBJS Rev. 2016 Nov 15;4(11). DOI: 10.2106/JBJS.RVW.16.0001.
- Sherman SL. Editorial Commentary: Is It Time for Surgeons to “Take Back the Block”? Do-It-Yourself Suprascapular Nerve Blocks for Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair. Arthroscopy. 2016 Nov;32(11):2210-2211. Doi:10.1016/j.arthro.2016.06.031
- Arshi A, Siesener NJ, McAllister DR, Williams RJ 3rd, Sherman SL, Jones KJ.The 50 Most Cited Articles in Orthopedic Cartilage Surgery. Cartilage. 2016 Jul;7(3):238-47.
- Sherman SL, Copeland ME, Milles JL, Flood DA, Pfeiffer FM. Biomechanical Evaluation of Suture Anchor Versus Transosseous Tunnel Quadriceps Tendon Repair Techniques. Arthroscopy. 2016 Feb 16.
- Poma C, Sherman SL, Spence B, Brenner LH, Bal BS. Rethinking the Standard of Care in Treating Professional Athletes. Clin Sports Med. 2016 Apr;35(2):269-74.
- Erickson BJ, Campbell K, Cvetanovich GL, Harris JD, Bach BR Jr, Sherman SL. Nonligamentous Soft Tissue Pathology About the Knee: A Review. Orthopedics. 2016 Jan 1;39(1):32-42.
- Sherman SL, Vetter J, Nuelle C. Clinical Vignette with Cover Photo/Video. Arthroscopy.2015 Nov.
- Sherman SL, Khazai RS, James CH, Stoker AM, Flood DL, Cook JL. In Vitro Toxicity of Local Anesthetics and Corticosteroids on Chondrocyte and Synoviocyte Viability and Metabolism. Cartilage. 2015 Oct;6(4):233-40.
- Sherman SL, James C, Stoker AM, Cook CR, Khazai RS, Flood DL, Cook JL. In Vivo Toxicity of Local Anesthetics and Corticosteroids on Chondrocyte and Synoviocyte Viability and Metabolism. Cartilage. 2015 Apr;6(2):106-12.
- Ellman MB, Sherman SL, Forsythe B, LaPrade RF, Cole BJ, Bach BR Jr. Return to Play Following Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2015 May;23(5):283-296. Review.
- Brimmo OA, Pfeiffer F, Bozynski CC, Kuroki K, Cook C, Stoker A, Sherman SL, Monibi F, Cook JL. Development of a Novel Canine Model for Posttraumatic Osteoarthritis of the Knee. J Knee Surg. 2015 Apr 18.
- Scott DJ, Sherman SL, Dhawan A, Cole BJ, Bach, BR Jr, Mather RC III. Quantifying the Economic Impact of Provider Volume Through Adverse Events: The Case of Sports Medicine Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine, March 2015; vol. 3.
- Epstein DM, Black BS, Sherman SL. Anterior ankle arthroscopy: indications, pitfalls, and complications. Foot Ankle Clin. 2015 Mar;20(1):41-57. doi: 10.1016/j.fcl.2014.10.001.
- Ma R, Smith PA, Smith MJ, Sherman SL, Flood D, Li X. Managing and recognizing complications after treatment of acromioclavicular joint repair or reconstruction. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2015 Mar;8(1):75-82.
- Farr J, Mathew LM, Stoker AM, Sherman SL, Cook JL. Effects on exposed articular cartilage during open surgical procedures: a comparison of various fluids in an animal model. Arthroscopy. 2015 Jan;31(1):113-7.
- Bodendorfer BM, Cole EF, Carstens SJ, Sherman SL, Katta N. Drug Reaction with Eosinophilia and SystemicSymptoms Associated with a Vancomycin-Impregnated Spacer. Journal of Knee Surgery Reports. 2015.