Medicine Specialty Clinic
Patients and visitors to University Hospital may park free of charge in the four-level visitor parking garage at the intersection of Hospital and Monk drives, next to the hospital. If the Patient and Visitor Parking Garage is full, you may park on the first two levels of the west side of Parking Structure 7 by entering from Hospital Drive.
Free shuttle service is provided from Parking Structure 7 to any of our hospital entrances. Please contact Guest Relations at 573-882-1053 if you receive a parking ticket in error.
The clinic is located on the first floor of University Hospital near the main lobby. Registration is at the central check-in desk in the main lobby of University Hospital. If you are late, please come directly to the clinic.
Please plan to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your appointment time. If you are more than 10 minutes late to the Clinic you may be asked to reschedule. If you were scheduled for additional pre-visit testing at your appointment, we ask that you plan to arrive more than 30 minutes early.
To schedule a first-time appointment with a specialty service, please call 573-882-8788, and press 1.
To leave a message for the clinic team, call 573-882-8788 and press 3. Please be sure to leave your full name, date of birth, the name of your provider and the nature of your call. We try to answer all messages within 48 hours.
It is very important that you do not run out of the medications that you need.
- Refill: current prescription is active.
- Renewal: current prescription has expired and requires provider approval to continue.
When you are ready for a prescription refill or renewal from your provider at the Medicine Specialty Clinic, please contact your pharmacy directly. For routine medications, the fastest and most accurate way to ask for refills is to notify your pharmacy.
- They will check to see if you have refills remaining on your current prescription and, if not, will contact us directly to receive authorization.
- Please allow 2-4 business days for this process to take place. The time frame is dependent on if your pharmacy sends the request electronically or via paper fax.
- Standard refill requests are performed during normal business hours only.
Your prescription renewal may take more time to fulfill if you have not been seen by your doctor within the last 12 months.
- Guidelines require an annual visit to make sure your medications continue to fit your needs.
- If you have not been seen by your provider in this clinic in a 12-month period:
- Contact the clinic to set up a follow-up appointment.
- A one-time refill may be given to get you to that next visit.
- Please allow up to 5 business days for this process.
- Advanced planning is necessary for mail order prescriptions and all medications requiring pre-authorization by your insurance company. Please allow up to 10 days for this process.
How to make the refill process go smoothly
- During your visit, please discuss with your provider about renewing your prescriptions.
- If you do not need to return to the Medicine Specialty Clinic for ongoing care or do not need to return on a yearly basis, please arrange with your primary care physician to manage your prescriptions.
Contacting the Clinic for renewal and refill problems
- If your pharmacy cannot process a renewal and you need to call us, please call 573-882-8788, Press 3 and make sure to tell us your full name, date of birth, the name of your provider, medications requested with dose and the name of your pharmacy. State, if known, the issue your pharmacy had with the refill. Please allow 3-5 business days to process.
- MU Health Care Connect: This is the best way to communicate with your health care team. You can view your medical record, schedule an appointment, request prescription renewals, and get answers to your health questions. Visit muhealth.org/patient-login to get started.
Travel Clinic for International Travelers
Read our Travel Medicine information.