Education & Training
Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University
- Icahn School Of Medicine At Mount Sinai
- Mary S. Stern Hand Surgery Fellowship, University of Cincinnati
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
Dr. London is an accomplished clinical and medical education researcher who has received more than $140,000 to-date in research funding. Clinically, he is interested in patient reported outcome measures. His research team seeks to better understand how patients answer these questionnaires and what level of change matters from a patient perspective. Additionally, his team hopes to further our understanding as to how patient mental health and personality influences these scores and patients’ recovery from upper extremity problems. His research team also investigates how orthopaedic trainees learn how to perform surgeries and the benefits of technology in this learning process. Finally, they also seek to better understand how the residency selection process can be improved.
- Patient reported outcome measures
- Intersection of mental health and physical function
- Qualitative research methods
- Residency selection
- Procedural learning
- Hand surgery
Areas of Expertise
- Hand and upper extremity surgery
- Clinical research methodology
Awards & Honors
- American Foundation for Surgery of the Hand Clinical Research Grant (2021)
- Recipient of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand Daniel C. Riordan Award (2020)
- Research Award for Best Chief Resident Research Presentation, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (2020)
- 2019 American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Alan Levine Scholar in Orthopaedic Graduate Medical Education
- Selected to be a member of the American Orthopaedic Association's Emerging Leaders Program (2019)
- American Foundation for Surgery of the Hand Resident and Fellow Fast Track Grant (2019)
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai House Staff Excellence in Teaching Award winner 2018-2019
- Selected to attend the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons/Orthopaedic Research Society/Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation Clinician Scholar Career Development Program (Sep. 2018); sponsored by the American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Selected to attend the Harvard Macy Program for Post-Graduate Trainees: Future Academic Clinician-Educators (Dec. 2017)
- Full tuition scholarship to attend the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine
- 2014 Scholarship in Teaching Award winner from Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
- 2014 Best Resident Paper at the American Association for Hand Surgery annual meeting
- Central Group on Educational Affairs of the American Association of Medical Colleges Collaborative Grant (2014)
- 2013 Emanuel B. Kaplan award winner for representing anatomical excellence in surgery of the hand
- Washington University in St. Louis Just-in-time Core Usage Grant award (2013)
- Chosen as a Doris Duke Clinical Research Fellow at Washington University in St. Louis (Jul. 2012-Jun. 2013)
National Committee Appointments
- Oct 2021 – Present: American Society for Surgery of the Hand Resident Education Committee
- Oct 2021 – Present: American Society for Surgery of the Hand Clinical Research and Grantmanship Committee
- Mar 2020 – April 2021: Chair of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Resident Assembly Education Committee
Selections from more than 45 peer-reviewed publications:
- London, DA., Zastrow, RK.
The Orthopaedic Resident Selection Process: Proposed Reforms and Lessons from Other Specialties.
Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. In Press.
- London, DA., Zastrow, RK., Gluck, MJ., Cagle, PJ.
Experience Level Influences Users' Interactions with and Expectations for Online Surgical Videos: A Mixed-Methods Study.
Journal of Hand Surgery. 2021: 46(7): 560-574.
- Zastrow RK., Burk-Rafel J., London, DA.,
Systems-Level Reforms to the United States Resident Selection Process: A Scoping Review.
Journal of Graduate Medical Education. 2021. 13(3): 355-370.
- Staples, R., London, DA., Dardas, AZ., Goldfarb, CA., Calfee, RP.
Comparative Morbidity of Cubital Tunnel Surgeries: A Prospective Cohort Study.
Journal of Hand Surgery. 2018. 43(3): 207-213.
- London, DA., Stepan, JG., Goldfarb, CA., Boyer, MI., Calfee RP.
The (in)stability of 21st century orthopedic patient contact information and its implications on clinical research: A cross-sectional study.
Clinical Trials. 2017. 14(2): 187-191.
- London, DA., Calfee, RP., Boyer, MI.
Impact of a musculoskeletal clerkship on orthopedic surgery applicant diversity.
American Journal of Orthopedics. 2016. 45(6): E347-E351
- London, DA., Kwon, R., Atluru, A., Maurer, K., Ben-Ari, R., Schaff, PB.
More on How the USMLE Step 1 is Challenging Academic Medicine.
Academic Medicine. 2016. 91(5): 609-610.
- London, DA., Stepan, JG., Lalchandani, G., Okoroafor, UC., Wildes, TS., Calfee, RP.
The Impact of Obesity on Complications of Elbow, Forearm, and Hand Surgeries.
Journal of Hand Surgery. 2014. 39(8): 1578-1584.
- London, DA., Stepan JG., Boyer, MI., Calfee, RP.
The impact of depression and pain catastrophization on initial presentation and treatment outcomes for atraumatic hand conditions.
Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 2014. 96(10): 806-814.
- London, DA., Stepan JG., Calfee, RP.
Determining the Michigan Hand Outcomes Questionnaire Minimal Clinically Important Difference by Means of Three Methods.
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2014. 133(3): 616-625.
- London, DA., Stepan, JG., Boyer, MI., Calfee, RP.
Performance Characteristics of the Verbal QuickDASH.
Journal of Hand Surgery. 2014. 39A(1): 100-107.
Click here to access a complete list of Dr. London’s publications