Giving back to the community by volunteering at University of Missouri Health Care is personally rewarding and enriches many lives. You’ll meet many different people and build valuable skills while gaining hospital experience.
If you have ever thought about volunteering, MU Health Care is a great place to start. Many opportunities exist from which you can choose. You can volunteer in one of the many areas throughout the hospital – during the day, in the evening or on the weekends – whatever is most convenient for your schedule.
The mission of our Volunteer Services is to support MU Health Care. We provide assistance with trained volunteers dedicated to enriching the lives of patients, families, visitors and staff and offer specially designed volunteer programs. Our volunteers’ commitment of time and service supports our hospital staff members’ quality of services and results in enhanced satisfaction by patients and families. Our volunteers serve as liaisons in the community, advocating for the patients we serve, strengthening our community partnership and educating our future health care professionals.
We rely on volunteers to staff many of our programs and services. We invite you to become a part of the MU Health Care volunteer team.
- Adult volunteers. You may be able to work directly with patients and their families. You’ll have the opportunity to work independently, with others, with patients or doing clerical tasks.
- Youth volunteers. If you are between the ages of 15 and 18, we have a Summer Youth Program. Students come from all over the area to volunteer at MU Health Care in many different departments.
These are just a few of the volunteer opportunities available:
- Patient ambassadors. You can escort visitors and patients to departments and nursing stations for testing or admissions.
- Emergency department. You can work as an assistant to the triage nurse or other emergency department staff. You may greet patients, compile information on patients, assist family members, run errands and assist nursing personnel.
- Gift shop. You can stock shelves, price merchandise, operate cash registers and assist customers.
- Surgery waiting room assistants. You can assist surgery staff by keeping patients' families informed of a patient's status.
- Information desk. You can welcome patients, visitors and family members to the hospital. You may also answer phones and give directions along with other volunteers. (You must have computer skills to be considered for this position.)
Benefits of volunteering
When you volunteer at MU Health Care you’ll receive:
- Free TB screening and flu shots
- Recognition through a an annual recognition breakfast
- "Helping Hands" certificate, redeemable at The Grill Downstairs, Essentials, Archway Café, Oasis and all MU Health Care Gift Shops when you volunteer a minimum of a four-hour shift.
MU Health Care Partners
MU Health Care Partners is an established and growing volunteer organization that supports the mission of the hospital. The organization encourages volunteerism and strives to increase awareness in the community of the expanding services and programs of MU Health Care. Additionally, the organization sponsors hospital fundraisers. All gift shop proceeds support patient programs.
University of Missouri Health Care
Office of Volunteer Services
One Hospital Drive, DC013.0
Columbia, MO 65212