There is no denying tobacco use is one of the hardest habits to break, especially on your own. That's why Ellis Fischel Cancer Center and MU Health Care offer Quit Tobacco Now Services to help tobacco users kick the habit for good.
Our services are free and open to the public. Services include virtual group classes and one-on-one pharmacist consultations. Certified tobacco treatment specialists lead virtual group classes throughout the year. Mizzou Pharmacy provides one-on-one consultations to assist you in planning how to quit tobacco, including medication options.
Quit Tobacco Now Virtual Group Classes
Quit Tobacco Now group classes consist of ten bi-weekly virtual meetings held over the course of 10 weeks. The class meets every Tuesday (excluding holiday weeks) from 5:30 - 6:30 p.m. to discuss a variety of topics, including the science behind tobacco dependence, quitting strategies, coping mechanisms, and more. Each session will include group discussion as well as activities to help guide your overall quit plan. Participants can join via smartphone or computer. Throughout the program, participants will also have access to free nicotine replacement therapy products, such as patches, gum, or lozenges. Read about the impact of the program on one participant here.
- Session 1: Effects of tobacco use, benefits of quitting
- Session 2: Setting a quit date, preparation strategies and cutting back
- Session 3: Nicotine replacement therapies for quitting
- Session 4: Importance of active planning, identifying triggers
- Session 5: Understanding urges and cravings, coping strategies
- Session 6: Identifying support people and resources
- Session 7: Managing stress and conflict, relaxation strategies
- Session 8: Planning for high-risk relapse scenarios, responding to lapses and relapse
- Session 9: Lifestyle changes, addressing weight gain
- Session 10: Rewarding successes
Mizzou Pharmacy Quit Tobacco Now Services
Initial and follow-up consultation appointments are free and take place via telephone or in person at our South Providence Mizzou Pharmacy location (551 Veterans United Dr. Columbia, MO 65201). Schedule a free one-on-one consultation with a pharmacist to:
- Set a quit date
- Discuss potential treatment options, including medications
- Create a personalized quit plan with ongoing support
Lung Cancer Screening
For individuals who are 50 or older and have a 20 pack-year smoking history (smoked at least one pack per day for 20 years or two packs a day for 10 years) find out more information about our Lung Cancer Screening services.
Enroll in the Next Class
To participate, complete the following form and one of our program facilitators will reach out with more details.
For additional questions about the program, email email@example.com.