Parents and families who have experienced the loss of a child can find support from many online and in-person resources.
MU Health Care’s Journeys- Pediatric Complex Care Team suggests the following websites and support groups.
Pregnancy and infant loss
- Share — Share supports families and individuals who have experienced the death of a baby through pregnancy loss, stillbirth or in the first few months of life. The organization’s website includes information on local chapters that hold support groups in Missouri as well as a variety of Facebook support groups.
- M.E.N.D. — Mommies Enduring Neonatal Death (M.E.N.D.) is a Christian nonprofit geared toward families who have experienced the loss of a baby through pregnancy loss, stillbirth or early infant death. The organization publishes free e-magazines and hosts a variety of online groups, including groups for fathers, pregnancy and parenting after a loss, and a group for Spanish-speaking families.
Pregnancy after loss
- Pregnancy After Loss Support (PALS) — Pregnancy after a loss can be especially difficult to navigate, and PALS’ mission is to support mothers along the way.
- The Compassionate Friends — This organization provides comfort, hope and support to all family members — parents, siblings and grandparents — who have experienced the death of a young loved one.
- MISS Foundation — The MISS Foundation provides resources, one-on-one mentorship and online support groups facilitated by trained moderators who are also bereaved parents, grandparents or siblings.
Supporting siblings after a loss
- The Dougy Center — This organization provides a supportive safe space where children, teens and young adults grieving the death of a sibling can share their experiences.
- National Alliance for Grieving Children — This is a non-profit organization that supports the needs of children and teens who are grieving a death and provides education and resources for their loved ones.
Local support groups
- Journeys Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support Group — A community-based support group for mothers and partners who have experienced pregnancy loss or early infant loss. This group meets on the first Monday evening of every month in Columbia, Missouri. For more information, contact Lacey Prater at 573-771-4266 or PraterL@health.missouri.edu.
- Graceful Wait — A ministry group in Columbia, Missouri, for women with infertility and those who have lost a baby due to miscarriage, stillbirth or early infant death. Each session begins with a joint meeting and then breaks into separate infertility and loss groups. Join Graceful Wait from 7 to 9 p.m. on the third Wednesday of every month at Plume. For more information, contact Kelly Gillion at 573-823-9654 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wings of Hope — This group serves parents who have experienced stillbirth, miscarriage and infant loss. It meets in Jefferson City on the fourth Thursday of every month from 6 to 7p.m. at the HyVee Community Room. For more information, contact Tammy at 573-632-5035.