For the best experience, think of your virtual care appointment the same way you would if you were having a visit in an exam room with your provider.
Here are some tips to help you prepare. Please take these steps before your visit.
Ensure Your Equipment Is Working
- For smartphones, check that your camera and microphone are both working, and have the screen facing you in “selfie mode”
- For computers, verify your speakers, microphone and camera are all working
- Make sure your volume is turned up so you can hear during the visit
- Check that your laptop or phone battery is fully charged
- Close any other applications to reduce distractions and maintain video quality
- Connect your phone to a WiFi network for improved video and audio quality
- Check your browser requirements
Prepare Your Space
- Choose a quiet, well-lit room for your visit
- Make sure the space is private — You and your provider will go over personal medical information
- Avoid having your back to a bright window, lights or other distracting backgrounds
- If available, use a cell phone stand on a solid surface and set the phone at eye level
- Avoid moving the phone or camera during the visit unless the provider asks
- Turn off other devices that may cause distractions during the visit such as TVs, radios or household appliances
- If you have family members or guests in the house with you, ask them in advance to limit conversation during your visit
- If you have pets, they are welcome to join your visit — Dogs tend to bark when their owner is out of sight, so feel free to have them nearby
- Consider using a headset during the visit so you and your provider can easily hear one another
- Set your phone to silent and if possible, turn off other application notifications
Scenarios to Avoid
- Conducting your visit in your vehicle, especially while driving
- Walking and moving during your visit unless asked
- Having your visit at work in your cubicle, break room or other common area
- Connecting to your appointment in a restaurant, gym, park or other public location
- Answering texts, emails or your phone during your visit.
Your time is valuable, and we want you to have the best possible outcome for your virtual visit. Follow these tips, and you’ll be off to a great start!