Patients and their families have an important role to play when it comes to patient safety. Medical research has shown that strong communication between patients, their families and caregivers help prevent many medical errors.
We urge patients to:
- Openly share your full health history with your caregiver. This includes the medication you take, any operations you've had and any allergies. The more your caregiver knows, the more successful your care plan and recovery will be.
- Ask questions before you accept a medication you don't recognize.
- Ask questions if you don't understand something about your care or have concerns about it.
- Remind caregivers and visitors to wash their hands before they care for you or visit you. Wash your own hands to reduce the risk of infection.
- Know how to take care for yourself at home and make sure your family members learn what to do, too.
- Fill out a survey if you receive a patient satisfaction survey after your visit to MU Health Care. Your responses help us improve the care we provide.