The University of Missouri Health Care Administrative Fellowship is a unique two-year program dedicated to fostering the next generation of health care leaders.
The program leverages MU Health Care's excellence in patient care along with its commitment to an engaged workforce to create an unparalleled learning experience. Working side-by-side with executive leadership, fellows benefit from customized rotations, individualized learning plans and enhanced leadership development opportunities that empower them to lead complex projects that impact the entire organization.
The fellowship attracts the best and brightest graduates and helps them become caring and talented leaders. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Administrative Fellowship
Fellows participate in function-specific rotations in:
- Ambulatory Care
- Inpatient Care
- Human Resources
- Business Planning/Marketing
- Patient Experience
- Community Affiliations
During each rotation, fellows will work alongside key leaders to enhance mastery of crucial competencies.
As an administrative fellow at MU Health Care, you can get involved in several exciting projects that will help you develop skills and prepare for your career in hospital administration. Below are some of the past projects that our administrative fellows have completed. Our fellows have:
- Led an inpatient substance abuse committee focused on order set and workflow creation to address patients who present with an opioid use disorder
- Led implementation of a visitor management system at Women’s and Children’s Hospital
- Conceptualized, developed and implemented a new incentivized job position to increase employee satisfaction and standardize shift scheduling optimizing coverage and patient care for our Psychiatric Center
- Participated on committees involving the major quality initiatives of MUHC
- Defined program model, developed business case, assessed the needs and developed the Telehealth department for MUHC
- Led as the facilities project manager for all of Ambulatories existing, renovated, and new clinics
- Led a multidisciplinary team to adopt a new model of prenatal care, Centering Pregnancy, for the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Conducted interim assignments as ambulatory budget manager, service coordinators and practice managers for Cardiology Clinic, Medicine Specialty Clinic, Diabetes and Endocrinology Clinic, Neurology Clinic, Digestive Health Clinic, Ear Nose & Throat Clinics and Endoscopy Labs
- Helped manage system-wide master facilities planning
- Helped manage on-site operations for drive-through COVID-19 testing site
- Helped facilitate partnership with Boone County Health Department, Boone Hospital and Truman VA Hospital to reach underserved population and increase access to COVID-19 testing through mobile outreach testing sites across Columbia and rural communities in surrounding areas
- Helped facilitate project to increase average daily census at Missouri Orthopaedic Institute from 12 patients to 30 patients
- Helped facilitate the Academic Health System strategic planning process for MU Health Care and the MU School of Medicine
- Created a Career Portal to help employees grow within the organization by providing access to various resources and tools
- Created a process workflow within all clinics for chargemaster
- Helped change the process for clinic floating hours for Ophthalmology Clinics
- Helped manage the operations for the Incident Command COVID-19 Labor Pool
- Helped organize the team on acquiring the LGBTQ Healthcare Equality Leader verification for MU Health Care
View the application requirements for more information about our Administrative Fellowship.
Why work at MU Health Care?
MU Health Care consistently receives recognition as a leader in providing high-quality, innovative health care services. MU Health Care received the designation as one of Missouri’s first Level I Time Critical Diagnosis Stroke Centers, the highest recognition a hospital can receive for its stroke program.
MU Health Care is also a leader in the development and provision of leading-edge health care services offered at the Mizzou BioJoint℠ Center, a breakthrough in the field of orthopaedic surgery. In 2014, the United Health System Consortium awarded MU Health Care the UHC Quality Leadership Award for demonstrated excellence in patient care.
In 2015, MU Health Care received the global HIMSS Enterprise Nicholas E. Davies Award of Excellence for health care technology innovations that are improving patient outcomes. Also, for the seventh consecutive year, MU Health Care was recognized as one of the nation’s “Most Wired” health systems in 2017 for its leading edge health care information technology.
MU Health Care, whose mission is to advance the health of all people through exceptional clinical service, helps improve health care access for Missourians through its membership in the Health Network of Missouri (HNM). A collaborative network of six health care organizations, HNM’s goals are to improve health outcomes, share health care best practices, improve patient access, ensure coordinated patient care among various providers and create efficiencies that lower health care costs.
In an effort to improve health care quality and clinical integration in the region, MU Health Care is also a member of MPact Health, a multi-state Clinically Integrated Network (CIN) comprised of over 3,000 physicians and 49 hospitals. MPact Health allows physicians and hospitals to work together on clinical integration, quality improvement, and contracting, ultimately leading to quality improvements and innovation in each geographic market.
A great place to live and work
Located in central Missouri, Columbia is home to the University of Missouri and is consistently ranked nationally as one of the most desirable places to live. This city combines the quality and culture of larger metropolitan areas with lower housing costs, excellent schools and beautiful neighborhoods. Through innovations in health care management and health care provision, MU Health Care aspires to also make Columbia, Missouri, a medical destination for exceptional health care services.