We know children are more than just little adults, and we understand you want expert, compassionate care when your child has an emergency.
That’s why Children’s Health at University of Missouri Health Care Children’s Hospital is proud to have the only urgent care and emergency room in central Missouri dedicated to children. Whether your child is having an asthma attack or has a broken bone, our physicians are here to help you and your child feel better.
Urgent care vs. emergency care
Our pediatric urgent care team treats illnesses and injuries that your child would normally receive at his or her doctor's office. We offer these “after hours” services as a convenience to you. Typically, urgent care involves a lower health insurance co-payment and shorter wait times than an emergency room. If your child's illness or injury is more serious, you should visit the emergency room at MU Children’s Hospital.
Pediatric urgent care
Sometimes your child develops an ear infection or sore throat that requires treatment when your pediatrician’s office is closed. That’s why our physicians are here for you and your child after hours and on weekends.
Reasons to visit our urgent care include:
- Bruises or sprains
- Cold or flu-like symptoms
- Ear infections with pain and/or fever
- Hives and/or rash
- Lice, scabies or ringworm
- Mild asthma attacks
- Minor cuts or burns
- Non-severe bleeding
- Sore or strep throat
Pediatric emergency care
When your child needs emergency medical attention, we have experts in specialties ranging from orthopaedics to infectious diseases. The MU Health Care Women’s and Children’s Hospital Emergency Room is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It is staffed at all times with at least one attending-level physician, at least four registered professional nurses, and support staff.
Our emergency room is the only one in central Missouri with physicians and nurses who have specialized training in pediatric emergency medicine.
Our team and facility are equipped to handle a wide range of pediatric medical problems. We treat:
- Chronic illnesses such as seizures and asthma
- Infectious conditions such as colds and croup
- Injuries and illnesses such as fevers and fractures
Related Conditions & Treatments
- Adolescent Medicine
- Pediatric Inpatient Rehabilitation
- Pediatric Anesthesiology
- Pediatric Cancer
- Pediatric Cardiology
- Pediatric Dermatology
- Pediatric Development and Behavior
- Pediatric ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat)
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Pediatric Eye and Vision
- Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Pediatric General, Thoracic and Gynecology Surgery
- Pediatric Genetic Services
- Pediatric Infectious Diseases
- Pediatric Nephrology
- Pediatric Neurosciences
- Pediatric Orthopaedics
- Pediatric Primary Care
- Pediatric Psychiatry
- Pediatric Pulmonary Medicine
- Pediatric Rheumatology
- Pediatric Surgical Services
- Tigers on Track Pediatric Wellness
- Pediatric Plastic Surgery