Neurological trauma is an injury to the brain, spine or nerves. Accidents involving vehicles, bikes, sports or falls usually cause these types of injuries. Neurological trauma can often affect many areas of the body — including the organs, blood vessels, muscles and bones — so care requires a team of specialists.
University of Missouri Health Care has the only Level I Trauma Center in mid-Missouri. We are well-equipped to provide complete care for the most severe traumatic injuries — including prevention, recovery and rehabilitation. Our neurosurgery team works closely with other trauma team specialists to provide fast, effective care.
As providers at an academic health system, our neurological trauma specialists use leading-edge treatments and rehabilitative therapies. When you need lifesaving treatment, it’s comforting to know your expert care team has the experience and resources to give you the very best care possible.
Intensive care for brain and spine injuries
Brain and spinal cord injuries need 24-hour care and monitoring. MU Health Care has a neuroscience intensive care unit (ICU) designed just for people with these types of injuries. We offer:
- Specialized staff. Neurosurgeons and neurointensivists (doctors who care for ICU patients with neurological injuries) provide the most advanced care, along with a team of nurses, respiratory therapists and other specialists. Vascular specialists evaluate and treat blood vessel injuries.
- Advanced technology. Your care team uses sophisticated equipment to watch oxygen to your brain and heart, breathing rate and other vital functions. This lets your doctors constantly track your condition so they can make the best treatment decisions.
- Support for families. It’s usually a shock to have a loved one admitted to the ICU. Our care team keeps you informed and offers emotional support and resources for you and your family.
Personalized rehab and recovery
Rehabilitation is an important part of healing from a traumatic neurological injury. MU Health Care offers all levels of care, from intensive inpatient rehab to outpatient services during recovery at home. In fact, Rusk Rehabilitation Hospital, an affiliate of Encompass Health and MU Health Care, is among the leading inpatient rehab facilities in Missouri and surrounding states.
Everyone’s recovery is different. Our rehab specialists design a personalized treatment plan to help you regain function, independence and well-being. Rehab can include a variety of therapies, such as:
We’ll also help prepare you to go home. Our social workers and other team members will give you and your loved ones information and resources to help you continue healing.
Related Conditions & Treatments
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Brain Cancer
- Cerebrovascular Disorders
- Electrodiagnostic Testing
- Movement Disorders
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Neuromuscular Diseases
- Neurological Trauma
- Neurological Rehabilitation
- Pediatric Neurology
- Sleep Disorders
- Spine Care & Back Pain Treatment