When you need expert care for diseases affecting your brain, spinal cord or nervous system, the neurologists at University of Missouri Health Care provide the most advanced care in central Missouri.
We offer the widest range of options and the most advanced medical capabilities for neurological disorders in the region, including specialized care for kids.
Neurological diseases involve different parts of the nervous system, so our neurology care team includes specialists in brain and spinal cord illness, muscle and joint conditions and other medical specialties. We create your care team based on your unique needs.
Leading-edge neurological care
As an academic health center, MU Health Care has experts in every medical specialty. That’s important for you because it means you can get all your care in a single place. Regardless of your condition, we have the expertise and resources to offer you complete care.
Our neurologists are also researchers and educators, so your care team is knowledgeable about the latest therapies. If there’s a promising new treatment, you’ll find it at MU Health Care — including treatments only available through clinical trials. Our doctors are on the forefront of the latest discoveries in neurological disease research.
Complete neurologic care from an expert team
Neurological diseases require complex care from a number of specialists, so we make your care as convenient as possible. Your care team may include doctors, nurses, dietitians, pharmacists, respiratory and rehabilitation therapists, orthotists (clinicians who specialize in limb and spine braces or prostheses) and other clinicians.
We treat many types of neurological diseases, including:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Movement disorders
- Multiple sclerosis
- Neuromuscular diseases
- Parkinson’s disease
- Sleep disorders
- Spine care
Neurological disease therapies
Your neurologist will design a care plan that helps you maintain as much independence and function as possible. We draw from a variety of services to help improve your quality of life and support you and your family, including:
- Medicine. Doctors use medicines to control symptoms, such as anticonvulsants and antidepressants (for pain) and immune-suppressants (for autoimmune disorders). Your doctor is knowledgeable about the latest therapies and will recommend the most effective medicines for your condition.
- Surgery. We offer expert surgical care. If you can benefit from surgical treatment, the doctor will discuss surgical options with you. Your doctor works closely with neurosurgeons and specialists in spine surgery, orthopaedic surgery and plastic surgery to provide comprehensive care.
- Deep brain stimulation (DBS). DBS is considered the surgical treatment of choice for patients with Parkinson's disease. It’s highly effective, safer and less invasive than other surgical methods.
- Rehabilitation therapies. Our physical, occupational and speech-language therapists can help you improve function and live as independently as possible. Our orthotists can help you adjust to braces and other supportive devices or artificial body parts. We offer a full range of rehabilitation therapies and assistance to help you overcome functional challenges.
- Emotional support and resources. Our behavioral health clinicians (psychiatrists, psychologists, neuropsychologists and counselors) are available for you and your family members. We offer all levels of support to improve your emotional well-being.
At MU Health Care, you’ll receive a full spectrum of personalized neurological care and services.