When children experience problems with their nervous system, brain, spine, muscles or nerves, it can lead to a range of conditions including headaches, developmental delays and seizures. Our pediatric neurologists care for children experiencing these conditions.
Our pediatric neurology specialists put families first when providing care, making sure you are involved from start to finish. We work closely with other specialists when necessary, including the Thompson Center for Autism and Neurodevelopment and sleep specialists, coordinating your child's appointments and care at every step.
We also offer epilepsy and seizure diagnosis and monitoring, as well as multidisciplinary clinics for headaches and neuromuscular disorders.
When to see a pediatric neurologist
Our pediatric neurologists are here to help your family, from newborns to teenagers. Neurological exams can help reveal the cause of symptoms if your child:
- Has had a head or neck injury
- Has a birth defect in their head, spine or nerves
- Experiences a change in behavior or balance and coordination
- Experiences developmental delays including learning physical, mental or social skills more slowly than expected or when compared to peers
- Complains of symptoms including unexplained headaches, fever, blurry vision, fatigue or numbness
Pediatric neurologists at MU Health Care use safe, advanced diagnostic and testing procedures to help determine an individual treatment plan for your child.
Our neurologists work closely with other pediatric specialists, including cardiologists, pulmonologists, neuropsychologists, geneticists and intensive care doctors to help with diagnosis and treatment. Our team also provides neonatal services, working with the NICU and other specialists to assess and review imaging services in newborns and infants.
Each child is different, and one or more of these procedures may be performed in a doctor's office or hospital setting by your child's team to rule out or confirm a condition:
- Brain mapping
- Computerized tomography (CT) scan
- Electroencephalogram (EEG)
- Electromyography (EMG)
- Evoked potential
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) and Functional MRI
Neurological conditions we treat
Our team includes neurosurgeons, developmental pediatricians, neurophysiologists and nurses to treat any neurological and neurodevelopmental disorders your child may have, including:
- Balance and coordination problems
- Developmental delay
- Muscular dystrophy
- Neurofibromatosis (non-cancerous tumors on nerve tissue)
- Neurogenetic disorders
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Sleep disorders
- Tic disorders including Tourette Syndrome
Treating neurological problems in children
There are a wide range of treatment options available to help children with neurological conditions, and their families, get back to feeling well. Our neurologists and other specialists work with you to determine the best plan for you and your child.
Treatment can include coordinating:
- Lifestyle changes, such as changes in diet.
- Therapy services, including physical therapy, speech and language therapy, behavioral therapy and occupational therapy to help children catch up to their peers.
- Medication to help manage a condition or its symptoms.
Related Conditions & Treatments
- Adolescent Medicine
- Chest Wall Deformities
- Down Syndrome
- Gastrostomy and Feeding Access Program
- Juvenile Diabetes
- Pediatric Anesthesiology
- Pediatric Cancer
- Pediatric Cardiology
- Pediatric Dermatology
- Pediatric Development and Behavior
- Pediatric ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat)
- Emergency Care for Kids
- Pediatric Epilepsy
- Pediatric Eye Care
- Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Pediatric Infectious Diseases
- Pediatric Inpatient Rehabilitation
- Pediatric Nephrology
- Pediatric Neurology
- Pediatric Orthopaedics
- Pediatric Plastic Surgery
- Pediatric Primary Care
- Pediatric Psychiatry
- Pediatric Pulmonary Medicine
- Pediatric Rheumatology
- Pediatric Sleep Medicine
- Pediatric Surgery
- Pediatric Surgical Services
- Pediatric Urology
- Pediatric Weight Management
- Sickle Cell Disease
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
- Pectus Carinatum
- Pectus Excavatum