When your child and your family are faced with a cancer diagnosis, you want and expect best-in-class medical care along with understanding and compassion.
University of Missouri Health Care's Children's Hospital offers the care you deserve, close to home. From our leading-edge physicians and research to our social workers, nurses and Child Life specialists, our team is singularly dedicated to healing and nurturing children.
Because Children’s Hospital and Ellis Fischel Cancer Center are both part of University of Missouri Health Care, our health care team has access to the most progressive pediatric oncologists in the region. Our combined knowledge and expertise means your child receives the best possible care.
State-of-the-art, comprehensive pediatric cancer care
We offer an unmatched combination of leading-edge research and medical care with an individualized, multidisciplinary approach.
That means your child will receive world-class care from a team of professionals specifically trained in pediatric subspecialties, including:
- Child Life specialists
- Medical and surgical experts
- Radiation Oncologists
- Social workers
- Specially trained nurses
- Other health care consultants
Exemplary pediatric cancer care with a compassionate touch
Every member of our health care team has been specifically trained in family and pediatric patient-centered care. We understand the emotional health and well-being of your child has an enormous impact on overall health outcomes. We continually nurture the spirit, as well as the body, of every child who walks through our doors.
Our expert team also offers the advantage of a dedicated social worker who is specially trained. This social worker has the experience necessary to help families navigate the world of treatment plans and protocols, and facilitate communication with the health care team.
Our Child Life Specialists make sure your child is comfortable, at ease and best of all, gets to be a kid, even while undergoing treatment. We use technology like vein viewers, which make finding veins for tests and intravenous (IV) injections easier and less painful.
We are also the proud beneficiary of Pascale’s Pals, a central Missouri not-for-profit organization, whose single goal is to improve the comfort of our patients and their families.
Pediatric cancers we treat
Our experts treat a variety of pediatric cancer conditions, including:
- Acquired anemias
- Congenital anemias, such as hereditary spherocytosis
- Hemoglobinopathies, such as sickle cell disease and thalassemia
- Immune deficiencies
- Malignant and benign solid tumors
- Neutropenia and thrombocytopenia
What to expect at your first visit
When you come into our office for your first visit:
- Our team will gather a complete history and perform a comprehensive physical evaluation on your child.
- Our technician performs a laboratory evaluation for most first-time patients.
- Our team thoroughly discusses your child’s diagnosis, evaluation and plan of treatment with your child and your family.
In addition to highly specialized diagnosis and treatment options, physicians and researchers at University of Missouri conduct a variety of cancer clinical trials.
Related Conditions & Treatments
- Adolescent Medicine
- Down Syndrome
- Juvenile Diabetes
- Pediatric Anesthesiology
- Pediatric Cancer
- Pediatric Cardiology
- Pediatric Dermatology
- Pediatric Development and Behavior
- Pediatric ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat)
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Pediatric Eye Care
- Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Pediatric General, Thoracic and Gynecologic Surgery
- Pediatric Genetic Services
- Pediatric Infectious Diseases
- Pediatric Inpatient Rehabilitation
- Pediatric Nephrology
- Pediatric Neurosciences
- Pediatric Orthopaedics
- Pediatric Plastic Surgery
- Pediatric Primary Care
- Pediatric Psychiatry
- Pediatric Pulmonary Medicine
- Pediatric Sleep Medicine
- Pediatric Surgical Services
- Pediatric Urology
- Tigers on Track Pediatric Wellness