Sleep is essential for good health. It affects your concentration, mood, memory and so much more. Be at your best by getting the rest you need.
The sleep experts at University of Missouri Health Care Sleep Disorders Center can help. Our board-certified neurologists have extensive experience treating sleep disorders. You’ll find more options here than any other sleep center in central Missouri.
Our center combines experienced doctors and leading-edge sleep study technology to bring you the region’s most advanced sleep disorder evaluation and treatment.
We diagnose and treat all types of sleep disorders including:
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- REM behavior sleep disorder
- Restless legs syndrome
- Sleepwalking or sleep eating
Overnight sleep studies
When you visit our sleep lab, our doctors will conduct a sleep study, called polysomnogram testing, to find the cause of your sleep disorder. You’ll have a comfortable, private room where you can relax. Our team uses specialized equipment to study all aspects of your sleep.
Sleep studies are safe and painless. The highly-trained technician who performs your study is available at all times during your evaluation.
Your sleep technician will:
- Place sensors on your head, face and chest to measure your brain activity, eye movements and heart and muscle activity
- Monitor your breathing, blood oxygen levels and other vital signs throughout the test
Expert care to help you rest easy
Your doctor will recommend a personalized treatment plan to help improve your sleep, such as:
- Behavioral health (psychiatric) assessments for insomnia
- Lifestyle changes (avoiding alcohol, using relaxation techniques or other behaviors that support healthy sleep patterns)
- Specialized equipment for sleep apnea (including CPAP and BIPAP machines and oral appliances)
- Surgical treatment for severe snoring or obstructive sleep apnea. This includes an implantable treatment option for those who have obstructive sleep apnea and are unable to use or consistently benefit from a CPAP device or other treatments. For additional information, contact Natalie Taylor, RN, at 573-882-2902.
Sleep doctors work with specialists throughout the MU Health Care system to offer you complete care and make sure you get a good night’s sleep.
Leading sleep disorders research
When you choose MU Health Care, you can be confident your care team is on the leading edge of sleep disorders care. Our doctors are also researchers and educators at the University of Missouri School of Medicine, so we’re on the front lines of sleep disorders discoveries. We’re studying better ways to treat insomnia, restless legs syndrome, sleep apnea and more.
Our research focus means you can get some of today’s most promising treatments through our clinical trials. Your care team has access to all the resources and expertise you’ll only find at an academic health system. That means you can get the most advanced care in the region, right here.
Related Conditions & Treatments
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Brain Cancer
- Cerebrovascular Disorders
- Electrodiagnostic Testing
- Movement Disorders
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Neuromuscular Diseases
- Neurological Trauma
- Neurological Rehabilitation
- Pediatric Neurosciences
- Sleep Disorders
- Spine Care & Back Pain Treatment