When you or a loved one needs complete care for even the most serious injuries, University of Missouri Health Care’s Frank L. Mitchell Jr., MD, Trauma Center offers the most advanced trauma care in central Missouri. It’s the only American College of Surgeons (ACS)-verified Level I Trauma Center in mid-Missouri and one of only six in the state.
Our trauma team — including surgeons, neurologists, orthopaedic specialists, nurses, respiratory therapists and other specialists — is always on hand to provide compassionate care. We have our own ambulance service, which has advanced life-support capabilities, and we work with local and state organizations to provide helicopter transport. The helicopters have the latest equipment for first responders to begin lifesaving treatment as quickly as possible.
By working closely with first responders, we bring together a trauma care team that’s ready to give you expert care as soon as possible.
Multidisciplinary trauma care
Our multidisciplinary trauma team is well-equipped to care for all types of traumatic injuries. We treat more than 50,000 people every year, which means you get care from highly experienced doctors. Our experts offer complete care for traumatic injuries, including:
- Burn and wound care. MU Health Care’s George D. Peak Memorial Burn and Wound Center offers complete care for children and adults. It’s the only burn center in the region.
- General surgery. Our general surgeons repair areas of the body after traumatic injury, such as the digestive and endocrine systems.
- Heart and lung surgery. Our heart and lung surgeons treat traumatic injuries that affect the chest, which includes the heart, lungs and blood vessels.
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery. Our plastic surgeons do surgery to repair burns, lacerations (cuts) and damage to small structures such as blood vessels and nerves (called microsurgery).
- Neurological trauma surgery. Our neurosurgeons treat traumatic injuries of the brain, spine and nerves.
- Vascular surgery. Our vascular surgeons repair damage to blood vessels and arteries throughout the body.