If you or a loved one needs treatment for a condition that affects the female or male urinary system or the male reproductive system, we can help. Our experienced urological surgery team is nationally recognized and specializes in minimally invasive and traditional surgery.
Our comprehensive approach to kidney transplantation, male and female urology, male infertility, children’s urology, reconstructive surgery and urological cancers is unparalleled in mid-Missouri.
Our surgeons offer a wide variety of surgical approaches, including:
- Endoscopic. This minimally invasive surgery is performed by inserting a scope (thin, flexible tube) through natural body cavities (such as the mouth) or small incisions.
- Laparoscopic. This minimally invasive surgery uses thin, flexible tubes with a video camera and surgical instruments attached to the ends. The tubes are inserted through small incisions on the body. The camera guides the surgeon through the procedure, eliminating the need for large incisions.
- Open. This is traditional surgery where a long incision is made to access the area of the body that requires treatment.
- Robotic-assisted. This is a minimally invasive surgery during which a surgeon controls surgical instruments and a video camera attached to mechanical arms while seated at a computer console in the operating room.
Urologic surgical procedures
Our team offers complete surgical care, including the following procedures:
- Adrenal gland surgery
- Bladder surgery
- Genital and pelvic reconstruction
- Kidney stone removal
- Kidney surgery
- Pelvic prolapse repair
- Prostate surgery
- Testicular surgery
- Ureter surgery
- Vasectomy reversal
Minimally invasive urological surgery
Traditional open urologic surgery, in which large incisions are made to access the abdominal and pelvic organs, has been the standard approach for urological surgery. While open surgery is sometimes necessary, common drawbacks of this procedure include significant post-surgical pain, a lengthy recovery and an unattractive surgical incision.
Whenever it is possible and best for the patient, we use minimally invasive surgery, including endoscopy, laparoscopy and the da Vinci Surgical System. The da Vinci’s minimally invasive approach uses the latest in surgical and robotics technologies, is ideal for delicate urologic surgery.
If you need bladder removal surgery to treat bladder cancer, you may be part a pilot program called TIGER (Team Integrated Enhanced Recovery) protocol to improve recovery after major urologic cancer surgery.
The goal is for patients to return to self-sufficient care as quickly as possible after surgery. This means you are able to perform your daily activities with limited outside support. With a faster recovery from surgery, patients are able to receive additional cancer treatments sooner and more safely.
In this pilot program, we work with patients undergoing a radical cystectomy (removal of the bladder to treat bladder cancer) before, during and after surgery to promote their recovery.
Team Integrated Enhanced Recovery is a multidisciplinary, evidence-based approach that improves surgical outcomes through:
- Minimally invasive surgical techniques
- Goal-directed fluid therapy
- Use of short-acting intravenous anesthetics
- Minimizing the use of opioids for pain management
- Limiting routine use of tubes and drains
- Encouraging early return to normal nutrition and physical activities