If you have back pain, neck pain, or pain in your limbs or joints, you may benefit from chiropractic care. Chiropractic care is a natural approach to health care that helps restore normal function to the spine and other joints.
At MU Health Care, our chiropractors use hands-on therapies to relieve chronic pain from previous injuries or acute pain from new injuries. Our chiropractors offer nonsurgical treatment options, such as joint manipulation and soft tissue therapies, like massage, and provide exercises and stretches to heal injuries and reduce or eliminate your pain.
Conditions we treat
MU Health Care chiropractors treat patients of all ages, from infants to older adults, for many different conditions. With the ability to coordinate with physical therapists, primary care providers and other specialists, your care is completely personalized to give you the best results.
Some common conditions we treat include:
- Ankle pain
- Elbow pain
- Foot pain (plantar fasciitis)
- Jaw pain (TMJ)
- Low back pain
- Mid-back pain
- Neck pain
- Rib pain
- Shin pain
- Shoulder pain
- Spinal articular dysfunction
- Spine-related neurological conditions
- Upper extremity pain (Thoracic outlet syndrome)
- Wrist pain (Carpal tunnel syndrome)
What to expect
At your first appointment, our chiropractors will ask you about your symptoms and any pain you've been experiencing. They may will also perform a physical evaluation to understand your range of motion, pain points and possible treatment solutions. If additional tests are needed, such as X-rays, they can provide a referral. Based on your symptoms, we’ll develop a personalized treatment plan with you to help you feel your best.
Services we offer
Our team uses a variety of different common chiropractic techniques and therapies to provide you with the most advanced and best care possible.
- This non-traditional technique relieves pain by inserting very thin needles into your skin at intentional points on your body to stimulate nerves, muscles and connective tissue.
- Diversified technique. This hands-on therapy applies a quick thrust to the misaligned joints or bones, moving them back into place.
- Dry needling. Acupuncture needles are inserted into the myofascial tissue in your muscles and in the soft tissue surrounding tendons to stimulate a healing response. This technique is effective at decreasing muscle tension, improving range of motion and relieving pain. Adding electrical stimulation can also help reduce your recovery period.
- Gonstead technique. A hands-on therapy that adjusts bones in the spine to reduce pain in the low back or pelvic area.
- Graston technique. This manipulation restores disc alignment by manually shifting the impacted bones or discs in the spine or neck.
- Instrument adjusting. Also known as the activator technique, this adjustment uses a small device that applies quick pressure to the bone or vertebra to slowly shift it back into the correct alignment.
- Manual soft tissue release. Similar to a massage, this technique is performed to reduce pain, tension and strain in affected muscles.
- Palmer technique. A hands-on adjustment that realigns the spine by manipulating the first vertebra back into place, thus, shifting any misaligned vertebra further down the spine.
- Spinal manipulation. This chiropractic adjustment helps your body regain its natural range of motion by gently realigning your spine, vertebra and neck bones.
- Thompson technique. This specially shaped table is lowered slightly at the appropriate body position to help make chiropractic adjustments to your spine, arms or legs through quick thrusts
Our chiropractic care team offers chiropractic sports medicine services to help maintain soft tissue movement and proper joint alignment to help you prepare for your sport and recover from it. We offer specialty sports medicine services including gait analysis and correction as well as sport-specific biomechanical analysis. Our team treats the everyday athlete and support the care of our Mizzou athletes.
Related Conditions & Treatments
- Mizzou BioJoint® Center
- Chiropractic Care
- DEXA (DXA) Scan
- Elbow Pain and Injuries
- Foot and Ankle Pain
- Bone Health Program
- Hand and Wrist Pain
- Hip Pain
- Joint Health Program
- Knee Pain
- Limb Preservation Center
- Orthopaedic Oncology
- Orthopaedic Rehabilitation
- Orthopaedic Trauma
- Pediatric Orthopaedics
- Physical Therapy
- Regenerative Orthopaedics
- Shoulder Pain and Injuries
- Spine Care & Back Pain Treatment
- Sports Medicine