Whether you are a pro athlete or a weekend warrior, Missouri Orthopaedic Institute offers innovative sports medicine services at our state-of-the-art facility.
What We Do
Our multi-disciplinary team of experts is dedicated to the treatment and prevention of sports-related conditions. We provide an individualized approach using the best available evidence to get you and your favorite athletes back in the game.
Our fellowship-trained sports medicine providers specialize in the non-operative and operative treatment of pediatric, adolescent and adult athletic injuries — with a focus on knee, shoulder, elbow, hip and foot/ankle conditions. Our specialists also manage non-musculoskeletal sports-related conditions, including sports concussions, stress fractures and overuse injuries.
We deliver compassionate care using innovative technology to reduce pain and improve quality of life. Our philosophy of personalized care means that we consider the broad range of available treatment options for every patient. When possible, non-operative methods, including biological injections and rehabilitation are attempted. If surgery is recommended, our team uses the latest advances and minimally invasive techniques to restore function.
Patients benefit from the ease and convenience of comprehensive sports medicine services in one location. When necessary, our clinicians communicate and collaborate across the vast MU Health Care network to deliver outstanding care to our patients. On-site X-ray and MRI, bracing, physical therapy, sports nutrition, pharmacy, social work, billing, insurance, financial assistance and culinary services enhance the patient experience.
Leading-edge Sports Medicine Therapy Services
We provide the latest therapy techniques for those with active lifestyles, pro athletes, high school athletes and sports teams. Our treatments and programs help you stay well, improve performance and return to your sport after an injury.
- Active release therapy. A soft tissue system/movement based massage technique.
- Athletic training. Physical conditioning and reconditioning of athletes to prevent injuries.
- Blood flow restriction therapy. This therapy reduces blood flow to the injured limb during strength training.
- Concussion care. Treatment of a traumatic brain injury that is caused by a blow to the head or body, a fall, or other injury that jars or shakes the brain inside the skull.
- Instrument assistive soft tissue mobilization (IASTM). A tool that treats soft tissue dysfunction.
- Kinect – Portable Motion Analysis System. A markerless tracking system used for human motion analysis.
- Selective functional movement analysis (SFMA). A series of full-body movement tests for musculoskeletal assessment.
Education and Research
Our sports medicine team actively engages in research and in the training of the next generation of health care professionals.
The Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Fellowship provides exposure to practice in both an academic and private-practice setting. Fellows help care for the University of Missouri's athletes.
The Functional Assessment Screening Team (FAST) is a multi-disciplinary team that develops motion analysis tools to improve the health and well-being of patients, including athletes.
Affiliations and Sponsorships
The University of Missouri trusts the care of its athletes to our team. We also offer treatment of athletes through our affiliations and sponsorships with the following groups: the Show-Me State Games, the Columbia Rugby Club, the Missouri Contemporary Ballet, the TriZou Triathlon, the Columbia Bicycle Club, Safe Kids Worldwide and area high school and junior high schools.
Related Conditions & Treatments
- Mizzou BioJoint® Center
- Chiropractic Care
- Foot and Ankle Pain
- Bone Health Program
- Hand and Wrist Pain
- Hip Pain
- Knee Pain
- Limb Preservation Center
- Orthopaedic Oncology
- Orthopaedic Rehabilitation
- Orthopaedic Trauma
- Pediatric Orthopaedics
- Physical Therapy
- Regenerative Orthopaedics
- Shoulder and Elbow Pain
- Spine Care & Back Pain Treatment
- Sports Medicine