English surgeon Sir John Charnley pioneered hip replacement surgery about four decades ago. Before Charnley, other surgeons tried to rebuild arthritic hips with metal and plastic. Since then, advancements in science, engineering and materials have contributed to a very predictable and reliable operation that has helped millions of people with hip arthritis. Indeed, hip replacement is among the most successful surgical interventions of the past century.
In recent years, hip replacement surgery has become less invasive, and the artificial bearings in prosthetic hip joints are more wear-resistant. Although a routine operation, hip replacement surgery still requires careful decision-making with your surgeon.
Get informed about hip replacement surgery
Click on the links below to read more about the following topics related to hip surgery:
- Anatomy of the hip. Learn about how the hip works.
- Arthritis and the hip joint. Read about how arthritis affects the hip.
- Treating hip arthritis. Learn about how specialists can treat and manage arthritis.
- About hip replacement. Read about hip replacement surgery.
- Leg length after hip replacement. Find out more about discrepancies in leg length after hip surgery.
- Types of hip surgery. Learn about some of the most common types of hip procedures.
- Hip parts and materials. Get informed about the parts and materials used in modern hip surgery.
- Hip surgery techniques. Read about the most common techniques used in hip surgery today.
- Before hip surgery. Find out how to be prepared for your hip surgery.
- During hip surgery. Find out what to expect on the day of your procedure.
- After hip surgery. Learn about recovery from hip surgery, and what you can realistically expect.
- Life with an artificial hip. Read about what may be different – as well as the same – for life after a hip replacement.
- Successful hip surgery. Get pointers on setting yourself up for a successful hip procedure.
Related Conditions & Treatments
- Mizzou BioJoint® Center
- Chiropractic Care
- Foot and Ankle Pain
- Fracture Liaison Service
- Hand and Wrist
- Hip Pain
- Knee Pain
- Limb Preservation Center
- Bone Cancer
- Orthopaedic Rehabilitation
- Orthopaedic Trauma
- Pediatric Orthopaedics
- Physical Therapy
- Regenerative Orthopaedics
- Shoulder and Elbow Pain
- Spine Care & Back Pain Treatment
- Sports Medicine